Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone -

I’ve tried to research the forum for the latest information/equipment from Pentair, but realized that it might be easier if I just post and ask for your advice and recommendations. Their website is overwhelming, as I just need to know what the best workhorses are! I’m a designer, so the equipment isn’t my thing. At I least I know enough to consult with the very best! Everyone on this forum has been amazing - and has helped us so much with our existing pool here in Atlanta.

My husband and I are renovating an existing pool in St Croix USVI (long distance, isn’t that fun?) and having the equipment shipped from a distributor in Florida. Our existing pool in Atlanta GA was renovated several years ago with new Pentair equipment (listed below) and we’ve been very happy. We definitely want to stay with Pentair because we’ve had such a good experience and want everything to work together.

Any advice/thoughts will be greatly appreciated! I need to send this list to be purchased ASAP.

Please keep in mind that we are in STX only part of the year and while we do rent the house often, we will have a local company checking on and cleaning the pool regularly. My thought is to purchase workhorses that are not overly complicated and easy to use.

Thank you - Amy

Pool: approximately 30,000 gallons. Partially inground gunite with plaster and Ecofinish (we love that finish in case anyone is interested!)

Equipment room: located under the back (ocean side) of the pool and completely hidden from view. All concrete.

Control: Pentair Easytouch Automatic Control (is IntelliCenter a better choice?)

Pump: Pentair IntelliFlo3

Salt System: Pentair Intellichlor 40 (is a Pentair Intellichlor 60 enough for this “new” pool?)

Heater: Pentair Mastertemp (we have 400,000 BTU for our Atlanta lap pool, but STX will need an electric/heat pump or propane. Asking locally to see what is recommended). Would the UltraTemp be a good option? Our pool is above sea level and gets a constant breeze, so it’s crazy how often the water is cold. We have solar panels on our house, but it’s been recommended to get separate ones that water run through for the pool. Then why would we need a separate heater? This is so confusing, so would appreciate any advice on what really works. The pool is in full sun. Again, you’d think it wouldn’t require heating!

Filter: Have had a cartridge filter recommended to us. Pentair has a few. Any idea which is best to purchase?

Light: Pentair IntelliBrite LED (unfortunately we can only install one to work in the existing cavity. Wish someone would invent a way to add lighting without having to bore into an existing structure)

Get the IntelliCenter bundle that includes the IC40 SWG. It is a well priced.

Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:
  • July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems
We recognize these products have been in high demand for many years. However, given advancements in Pentair innovation and evolving industry demands, we are transitioning focus to the latest technology standards included with the IntelliCenter Pool Control System.

Intelliflo3 is good but get the IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Touchscreen - 011077

Mastertemp is good.

Get the CCP 520 filter. The larger the filter the less you need to clean it. That is good for a rental house.

Reactions: AmyJo
With a 30k gallon pool, get the Intellicenter with IC60 bundle (not the IC40 bundle).
We recommend a SWG that is rated for at least 2 times the pool volume.
Maybe an i8PSIC60 for a pool/spa combo or an i5PIC60 for pool only.

As Allen suggested, a CCP520 cartridge filter will serve you well.

Get the IntelliCenter bundle that includes the IC40 SWG. It is a well priced.

Pentair announced the following in April 2023:

Pentair is discontinuing the IntelliTouch, EasyTouch, and EasyTouch PL4/PSL4 Pool Control Systems. These products will no longer be available to order starting:
  • July 31, 2023 for all IntelliTouch Systems
  • September 29, 2023 for all EasyTouch Systems
We recognize these products have been in high demand for many years. However, given advancements in Pentair innovation and evolving industry demands, we are transitioning focus to the latest technology standards included with the IntelliCenter Pool Control System.

Intelliflo3 is good but get the IntelliFlo3 VSF 3HP with Touchscreen - 011077

Mastertemp is good.

Get the CCP 520 filter. The larger the filter the less you need to clean it. That is good for a rental house.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

But isn’t Mastertemp gas only?

With a 30k gallon pool, get the Intellicenter with IC60 bundle (not the IC40 bundle).
We recommend a SWG that is rated for at least 2 times the pool volume.
Maybe an i8PSIC60 for a pool/spa combo or an i5PIC60 for pool only.

As Allen suggested, a CCP520 cartridge filter will serve you well.
Good point. I thought we’d probably need the IC60.

Does the bundle mean a savings or just that it’s all made to work together and/or easier?

Thank you for taking the time to help. It means so much!

My very basic understanding is that the power supply for the SWG is integrated into the Intellicenter enclosure when you purchase the bundle. If you don't get the bundled Intellicenter and SWG, the power supply for the SWG is mounted external to the Intellicenter enclosure.

There may also be a slight price advantage to getting the bundle versus separate pieces.

But isn’t Mastertemp gas only?

Mastertemp comes in NG or propane models.

At a minimum you should setup your equipment pad with the space and electrical power to install an UltraTemp HP. Then you can live without a heater for a season or two and see how it works out.

Good point. I thought we’d probably need the IC60.

Does the bundle mean a savings or just that it’s all made to work together and/or easier?

Thank you for taking the time to help. It means so much!

The Pentair IntelliCenter bundle is a significant savings over buying the individual components. Price it out both ways and see.

The standard Pentair bundle comes with an IC40 cell. Some distributors will pull out the IC40 and exchange it for an IC60 with an upcharge. You will need to see what your distributor is willing to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.