Advice needed before I start a SLAM

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened up our pool yesterday, and the water so green that we can't see the bottom. I checked all of the chemicals with my Taylor K-2006 test kit and everything is within normal limits except for CYA which was 0, PH which is either 7.6 or 7.8, and CC which is .5. I was very surprised to see that CC was only .5 since the water is so green.

I know that I need to get the CYA up to 30 and lower the PH between 7.2-7.5 before starting the SLAM. I bought some liquid conditioner to increase the CYA since it works faster and I won’t have to wait a week before backwashing my sand filter. Since I need to add both muriatic acid and liquid conditioner, I need to know which chemical I need to add first, how long to wait before adding the next chemical, and how long I need to wait before I start the SLAM after adding the last one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fix the pH first. Then reach for the bleach. It'll all get used up killing algae long before the sun gets it. Then between bleach doses, add the CYA. Figure if you're using granular CYA, you don't sit and wait for it to dissolve. you go straight to bleaching, so dp the same with the liquid. As a general rule of thumb, half an hour with the pump running is more than enough time between chemical additions. If you're brushing at the same time, you can shorten that considerably.

Reactions: gwtw
It is very easy to have algae and no CCs....especially before you start to kill it. I'd add enough CYA to bring it to 30 then SLAM at that level. You might want to check for ammonia first since CYA = 0.

Reactions: gwtw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.