Advice/info on 1st time using sand filter, Activate Filter Media info (1st time w/everything so any info/advice appreciated!)

Lee73

May 1, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've yet to begin even prepping yard/ground for new 22ft round steel frame pool so I may br jumping the gun with asking about filter media. I'm getting nervous as the swimming season in Indiana is short (3 months tops). I apologize in advance, I'm going to have many questions and need a lot of advice. My main question right now is about my new Intex 16 inch 3000gph sand filter pump. I've been reading a lot about alternative media and I would really like to try (Dr. Dryden's) Activate Filter Media. It's been difficult to find much information on the details of using. Most articles state using 30% coarse/grade 2 in the bottom in place of pea gravel and using grade 1/fine for the remaining 70%. However I read on the Dryden's own site that as of October 2020 they now changed their recommendation to a 50/50 ratio, so just half coarse half fine. I've not seen this on any other website and not sure if it had something to do with the change in product to a upper scaled version they referred to as AFM *ng* (for new generation). It's difficult enough to find a place online that sells and ships AFM in the United States. The place I found near me that will ship has reasonable prices but the product just says AFM, no ng, so I'm uncertain on not only if I should get the older original version, but I don't know how much to get or in what ratio I should put the layers. My pump instructions say it holds 120lbs sand or 80lbs glass media. The 80 pounds is kind of off from AFM instructions. The product is sold in 25lb bags. I was thinking maybe just buying (2) 25lb bags course for bottom and (2) 25lb bags fine for the top or if I need to be more precise. The AFM at the location I would be buyng from is $31 a bag which is a pretty good price so that's one good thing. If anyone has used this product or has any info on it I would be so very appreciative. Right now I only know that course goes on bottom, fine on top, and I'm to backwash 3 times before using, then backwash once weekly. I don't know how to do anything with the sand pump but will figure out as I go (after I find a way to prep the ground, set the pool up and figure out how to get the sand pump attached to the pool/and figure out how to cut the Hayward skimmer in...so kinda supermega overwhelming... but I'll do it!). I'm in the process of buying the suggested test kit, a 22ft armor liner protector, a sturdy more stair like ladder along with the AFM. I'll look into buying the sand and gravel to prepare the yard after these purchases. Sorry this was so long and mixed up. For anyone who read all of this I thank you and I hope someone can help me out on how much media to use (and any other tips, information on the pool, pump, skimmer, ground prep etc at all would be very much welcomed! :)

Welcome to the forum.
Sand is the best filter media for a sand filter. All the rest are magic, with no rabbit.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.