Advice for high CYA level

Brandon0413

Jun 19, 2021
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Fairly new pool owner. For the past year I've been maintaining our pool. I only test pH and for chlorine so far. Main source of chlorine is the jumbo tabs.

In the past I was adding about 1 cup of muriatic acid per week to keep the ph down around 7.4 to 7.6. lately I've been having to add more and more and have been adding around a cup per day to keep the ph down around 7.8.

I tested cya levels and came up with over 100 using the tf100 kit I bought a year ago.

Water is nice and clean and blue. What should my next step be? I'm thinking about partially draining the pool but I'm not sure how to check if I have a hydrostatic valve in place and if I do how it works. Do I have to open it?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to check if I have a hydrostatic valve in place and if I do how it works. Do I have to open it?
It would be under your drain cover, but it's not used to drain water. It's a valve designed to relieve pressure from underneath from a rising water table. Things have been fairly dry in our area, so I doubt your water table it very high right now.

full

Reactions: Brandon0413
Better late than never? My pool started losing water pretty good soon after my last post. We found the leak and had it repaired.

I noticed the alkalinity was high recently according to some test strips I have which made me remember I need to keep an eye on it. I've been trying to bring it down.

Current tests this evening:
pH somewhere between 7.5 and 7.8. having a hard time getting it to 7.4.
Free chlorine 8ppm
Combined Chloramines 0.5
Total Chlorine 8.5ppm
Calcium Hardness 325ppm
Total Alkalinity 180
CYA 90

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.