Admitting my confusion

georgygirl

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2011
Somehow, this year, I got confused over combined chlorine and total chlorine. In my mind they were the same thing. I’ve been fighting a battle that had no basis. Reading out here finally woke me up. Hey, I’m no chemist. And a lot of this goes over my head. I’ve had my pool for 8 years and thanks to the help out here it’s been smooth sailing. ❤️

If you live in an area as I do where you are limited to 5 months at the most of pool use, it does create a slight re-learn ea. opening. Not really true but Feels like when everything is stable chemical wise the season is over.

The term "combined chlorine" can be a bit confusing to those not steeped in chemistry. Combined chlorine is a catch-all term for an entire array of chemicals where chlorine has "combined itself" with an organic molecule or a nitrogen containing compound (urea, ammonia, etc, etc). There are literally dozens of water soluble "combined chlorine" compounds and, in reality, the CC test is only sensitive to a few of them. So, one can have plenty of bad "combined chlorine" compounds in their water without ever knowing it. The good news is that for most residential pools in the bright sunshine, those nasty combined chlorine compounds either never form or they are at such a low concentration that they are harmless. As long as the CC's measured by the test kit are low, the water is perfectly safe to swim in. Public health codes dictate that you should not swim in a pool with CC's greater than 400ppb (0.4ppm) but that's overly restrictive in a residential setting. You'd be hard pressed to find any harm in swimming in water with CC's as high as 1ppm. CC's can fluctuate a bit throughout the day and over time but I've never seen more than 0.6ppm in my clean/clear pool water and it's almost always 0-0.2ppm on any given test day.

I prefer the term "Combined Chloramines" ......sounds more evil in my mind so easier to remember it being something of concern.

Not unlike years ago in nursing school trying to recall good cholesterol (HDL) from bad cholesterol (LDL)..... as long as I recall the bad stuff as "Low Down Dogs" it helped me recall the good stuff better. <shrug>

Maddie :flower:

CCs in a spa can rise quickly due to the low water volume and being under a surface cover when not in use. I suspect it is the cause of many skin rash complaints from soakers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.