Adjusting levels

I'm following the FC test steps but in some of my prior tests the sample does not go colorless and remains a very faint pink color even after many R-0871 drops. Would a very faint pink color be considered colorless or not? Let's see how the test goes tomorrow morning. Thanks everyone.
You may want to purchase a speed stir. That is real helpful in mixing the drops as they are added.

Something ate 4 FC whether or not you can see it. Many times algae blooms can sit on the thin line of visibility just waiting to explode if you stop early. Time and time and time again a newb that doesn’t trust the process believes their eyes and not the test kit. Believe your tests. (y)

Yes. Test and adjust the parameters as needed based on the test results. If the next test comes back at 12, aim from 12 to 20. You got this. (y)

Raining here and expected tomorrow too. Do I halt SLAMing to minimize losing LC added or continue?
Continue on or you will just need to start from the beginning. The rain in Houston area is only expected to last a couple of hours as it is fast moving and the sun is coming out in afternoon. Add your LC to get up to 20 and try to maintain it by testing every 3 hours.

Reactions: Newdude
Rain is like spitting in the ocean and won’t matter. Hurry up your tests or bring it inside to stay dry while testing and calculating.

Reactions: giant_donut
Continued with the SLAM and adjusted parameters for FC 7, rechecked CYA and added LC based on CYA 40 (target FC 16). Or was I supposed to add LC to get up to 20 based on original CYA 50?

If you have reason to believe it’s 40, then that’s your #. If it looks like 41-49 on the test we call it 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Early stage of SLAM I was not brushing walls but was making sure everything was brushed in this last round. SLAM results overnight is FC 16 -> 15, CC .5, and clear water so SLAMing is done unless otherwise. Do I wait till FC goes down to normal levels before retesting CH? Thanks.

Early stage of SLAM I was not brushing walls but was making sure everything was brushed in this last round. SLAM results overnight is FC 16 -> 15, CC .5, and clear water so SLAMing is done unless otherwise. Do I wait till FC goes down to normal levels before retesting CH? Thanks.
It appears you passed the 3 criteria
  • CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT showing a loss of 1.0ppm or less
  • And the water is clear
When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

High FC levels (>10ppm) affects the readings of pH more but let it drift down a day or so and check all again

Reactions: giant_donut
Checked all test again and got:
FC 3, CC 0 - added chlorine to target level
pH 7.8, TA 175 - will lower TA by lowering pH to 7.2 and add muriatic acid per Pool Math
CH 150 - sample was done with the fill water tap. Do I need to adjust and based on what target level?
CYA 50, CSI .04

Thanks again.

It would be advisable to add calcium to get to at least 250 ppm CH. With your elevated TA right now, it is not an urgent need. But as you lower your TA, the CH level needs to increase.

Reactions: HermanTX
As someone who recently went through this (and is in the middle of a partial drain as we speak), add your CH in stages and err on the conservative side. It's really easy to add, but a real pain to take out! Good luck and congrats on the successful SLAM!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.