Lincoln, NE
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Is there such a thing as an adjustable flow return outlet? When I built my pool, I have 4 return jets, and I made the mistake of running the water supply to the slide off of the closest return line thinking there'd be enough pressure to supply the slide. With all 4 returns open, there's not enough pressure to push water up the slide supply. If I block off two of the returns, there is enough water pressure to the slide. An adjustable flow outlet would be convenient so I don't have to remove the return eye and plug the return. Any thoughts?

Can you put a diverter valve in your return line to turn off flow to the returns when you want to use the slide?

Maybe @1poolman1 @98Poolmaster @wireform know of adjustable flow eyeballs for returns that would let you close them.

Hey ajw22, I can't because where I connected the slide supply to the return line is under my concrete patio, *?@!%

That Dang hind site got me again, my guess that I'd have enough pressure to feed all the returns and run the slide was wrong. :cautious:

I was thinking of something like what a whirlpool tub has, turn the trim ring at the water inlets to open an close the water flow. 🤷‍♂️

What type of return pipes do you have?

What are the specs for what these adjustable returns would need to fit into?

What is opening size of the hole of your current returns….3/4”, 1/2”, 3/8”? If they’re the larger size you may try tuning them down with 3/8” opening return fittings adding one at a time to see at what point (and if at all) you can provide enough pressure for the slide.

Last edited:
What is opening size of the hole of your current returns….3/4”, 1/2”, 3/8”? If they’re the larger size you may try tuning them down with 3/8” opening return fittings adding one at a time to see at what point (and if at all) you can provide enough pressure for the slide.
Good idea, I'll give that a try!

I have 2" pvc return pipes that reduce at the return fitting to 1-1/2". I have Hayward SP1408 inlet fittings.

Hayward has Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball in various sizes:

Hayward Inlet Fitting Eyeball.jpg

• Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball 1 1/2" Slotted - SP1419A
  • Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball MIP 3/8" - SP1419B
  • Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball MIP 1/2" - SP1419C
  • Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball MIP 3/4" - SP1419D
  • Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Eyeball MIP 1" - SP1419E
  • Hayward Directional Flow Inlet Fitting - Insider Hydrostream 3/4" - SP1421D

So after some brainstorming, this is what I came up with. I searched for some nylon/plastic/pvc nuts/bolts and found, of all things, 1/2" toilet seat hinge hardware would work. I used marine epoxy (uv & chemical resistant) to set the nuts in the return eyeball, installed 3 of 4 in the pool. Plugged two returns and the water flowed down the slide o.k., did a third return and it's a perfect amount of water coming off the slide. Not an ideal, but but for less than $20 it works and it's pretty easy to screw in a few plugs.

Toilet Seat Hinge Fastener.png20240603_112048.jpg20240603_113318.jpg

Reactions: Lake Placid
So after some brainstorming, this is what I came up with. I searched for some nylon/plastic/pvc nuts/bolts and found, of all things, 1/2" toilet seat hinge hardware would work. I used marine epoxy (uv & chemical resistant) to set the nuts in the return eyeball, installed 3 of 4 in the pool. Plugged two returns and the water flowed down the slide o.k., did a third return and it's a perfect amount of water coming off the slide. Not an ideal, but but for less than $20 it works and it's pretty easy to screw in a few plugs.

View attachment 580834View attachment 580840View attachment 580841
Now that’s just slick. Great work! 👍

Reactions: jkhamr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ingenuity is great but why cant you benefit from THISI have those plugs for winterizing, but I guess I'm too lazy to remove the return eyeball and put a plug in.

Ingenuity is great but why cant you benefit from THIS
I have those plugs for winterizing, but was wanting something that didn't require me to remove; the return eyeball retaining ring, the eyeball, and the eyeball fitting that is threaded into the wall return pipe, then screw in the winterizing plug. All I have to do now is screw in or out the plastic bolt.