Adding Variable Speed Pump to existing Aqualogic automation system

Savo

Jan 20, 2018
Matthews, NC
Hello,
I am seeking information on compatibility / upgrading my automation to work with a new Variable Speed Pump. Hayward's website is difficult to navigate.
Replacing my current, single-speed, 2.5HP Hayward Northstar pump with a Hayward Variable Speed pump.

My Aqualogic is AQL-PS-8-X288, software Rev 2.43
Controls pool, spa and gas heater.

Ideally, i would like to install a new VS Pump and use as much of my automation system as possible. My concern is that the Hayward VSP only work with Software Rev 2.65 and above.
Is there an upgrade to my existing system, or would i have to replace?
If no upgrade, should i go with a 2-speed pump replacement ?

Thank you,
Jeff

Savo, welcome to TFP! We're glad to have you join us.

I'm not up on automation, but one of our knowledgeable users/poolies will be along soon to help, I'm sure.

Again, welcome :handwave:

Maddie :flower: (love Matthews, bro lives there)

You have a couple options of different capabilities and cost.

1) Cheapest is to go with a two speed since it is already compatible

2) You can wire most Hayward VS pumps via the relay controls on the pump but you will need to use the Aqualogic relays and you will not be able to set the speed via the Aqualogic controller. Speeds are set on the pump and the controller will just turn on off each speed via a relay at set time periods.

3) You can replace the main board of the Aqualogic for a software upgrade but it is pretty expensive. Sometimes you can find used boards on eBay but you need to make sure the version is correct:

GLX-PCB-Main | eBay

Reactions: doublespaces
Thanks Mark, for the very helpful and quick reply. Seems that the simplest solution is to go with a 2-speed pump. Am I correct that I just need the pump and a Jandy 6798 Aqualink 2-speed pump motor relay to make this work ?

In addition, there appears to be a lot of negative reviews online of Hayward VSP products. Failure rates and software complaints. Has that been your experience ?
I ask because the VSP pump + approx $350 for the main board is not significantly higher than a 2-speed (2.5HP rated) pump + relay.

Thanks again,
Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Maddie. TFP has been my go-to site for years. Just now using the forum for my specific help requests. I appreciate all the helpful folks out there.

Why do you need a Jandy relay? You have an AquaLogic controller and it already supports 2 speed motors. You just need an available AUX relay already in the unit.

Most of the complaints about Hayward VSP have been with the EcoStar. I recently got a used MaxFlo VS and so far it has been fine but I haven't been using it very long either.

Hello again,
I'll be installing a new Hayward 2-speed pump and want to make sure i get the configuration correct. So, asking if the following is the procedure.
Install pump and wire low-speed to one of the available AUX relays.
Config FILTER pump for 2-speed operation
Config AUX for Low Speed.

Spa with spillover is run with the same pump. Do i config "SPA FILTER" for 2-speed pump operation ?
The reason i ask: i don't see a need to run the spa separately on low speed. I filter the pool and spa as one, however it's not clear whether i need to config the spa for 2-speed operation.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

You shouldn't have a separate spa filter unless you have the configuration set for dual equipment. If you have one pump for the spa and pool that is a shared equipment setup and there is no setup for a separate spa filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.