adding salt

Aug 3, 2016
syracuse NY
Hi-I opened my pool and now I need to add the salt, when I add the salt I was then going to put the solar blanket on but I was wondering if I need to wait? Should I leave the blanket off for a day or two? Does it matter? Also should I turn the salt cell on immediately following the addition of salt or should I wait a few hours until the salt is mixed in?

Salt takes a while to dissolve and disperse in the water. Keep your pump running for 24 hours with your SWG off. You can have your blanket on.

Make sure to test your salt level before adding any additional salt. Your water will already have some salt in it. The K-1766 Taylor test is best. Salt is easy to add but requires draining some water to remove.

I usually take a sample to the local pool store to see how much salt I need to buy and add. They don't charge me for the test.

I would not trust pool store testing. The below is what we recommend.

Ok good to know! This is my fourth season as a pool owner and thanks to this forum I have done everything myself from opening to closing to testing to slamming. Maybe I should take the step and do this myself too.

Also just FYI I hope you are not paying more than $5 per 40lb bag of salt. I buy water softener salt from Home Depot. Just make sure the salt is 100% salt with no additives.

The bags I buy are 40lbs $4.99 each from the local pool store. It's a little independent mom and pop store I found, not a big chain pool store.

That is a good price. Support your local retailers.

Reactions: PoolGate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The typical price I can find at Home Depot or Lowe's is about $6-$7 for a 40 lb bag of water softener salt. I guess I need to look around to find a better price.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.