Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2021
Miami. FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Everyone. I recently resurfaced my pool with Diamond Brite and we've come to the time of adding salt to the pool. Can you check if I'm right?
1) I checked where I'm currently at with salt and it reads 1800 ppm. With my PureChlor Salt system it recommends the salt level to be between 3500 - 4500 ppm. I was targeting 3700 (but that's more random then anything).
2) On the Pool Math it recommends me to add 238 lbs of salt (So 5 , 40lb bags of salt and an additional 38 lbs..... so just adding 6 bags to round it up)
3) With pool pump running 24/7 for a 1 day (at the beginning of the day) I will add the 6 bags of salt in increments with the main drain open in full (skimmer off to get the most from the suction) with the SWG off.
4) Next day test salt level (hopefully being in target)
5) Turn on the SWG at mid way on the strength and retest the next day.

What suggestions or adjustments to my plan do you all have?

I do have some questions though. Should I add all 6 bags in one sitting? or should I do it say 2 bags... dissolve.. 2 bags.. dissolve etc.?
Should I wait one whole day before turning on the SWG (So that everything mixes in the pool and so it doesn't read high salt)? After I turn on the SWG how soon can I check the FC level and make adjustments. Obviously with the pump running 24/7 more FC is produced, but it's not my regular schedule which is like 0600 - 2000.

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks

1) I checked where I'm currently at with salt and it reads 1800 ppm. With my PureChlor Salt system it recommends the salt level to be between 3500 - 4500 ppm. I was targeting 3700 (but that's more random then anything).
I would read the PureChlor manual and target the low end of the range for now. Why spend more money and have a saltier pool than necessary. How did you test the salt? Do you have a Taylor K-1766? If not, get one now. If you are using the SWG number, those can be notoriously wrong. Don't want to add too much and have to drain.
2) On the Pool Math it recommends me to add 238 lbs of salt (So 5 , 40lb bags of salt and an additional 38 lbs..... so just adding 6 bags to round it up)
If your test was K-1766 was 1800, they yes.
3) With pool pump running 24/7 for a 1 day (at the beginning of the day) I will add the 6 bags of salt in increments with the main drain open in full (skimmer off to get the most from the suction) with the SWG off.
Why do this. Keep skimmers and main drain going. Dump into the shallow end and brush it back and forth until it is dissolved. I usually do 3 bags at a time. Please do not use Clorox salt, or salt with red out, green out or anything else like 4 in 1 action. JUST SALT.
4) Next day test salt level (hopefully being in target)
Yep
5) Turn on the SWG at mid way on the strength and retest the next day.
Sure.
What suggestions or adjustments to my plan do you all have?

I do have some questions though. Should I add all 6 bags in one sitting? or should I do it say 2 bags... dissolve.. 2 bags.. dissolve etc.?
You can do six, I like to do 3 at a time, more fun that heavier piles.
Should I wait one whole day before turning on the SWG (So that everything mixes in the pool and so it doesn't read high salt)?
24 hours with pump on should be good. Retest salt before you fire the SWCG to make sure it meets the manual minimum. May work below that, but best to use the manual. Did you read the manual in step 1 above?
After I turn on the SWG how soon can I check the FC level and make adjustments.
You can test anytime between now and 5 days after SWCG is started. Salt won't impact it.
Obviously with the pump running 24/7 more FC is produced, but it's not my regular schedule which is like 0600 - 2000.

I look forward to your advice.

Thanks

You're good. A few notes...
  • Don't trust a reading from the SWG. Get the TFP or Taylor salt test.
  • As you've done, figure out ppm increase. Consider shooting for the low side of the SWG bracket. (I'd rather hustle out to Walmart for another bag than store extras for months. Ymmv.)
  • For your 15k pool, a 40 pound bag is about 300 ppm. So for 1,900 ppm increase, ~6 bags agrees with your calculation pretty well.
  • Imo turning off the skimmers and/or running a longer pump schedule might dissolve a tiny bit faster, but are not necessary.
  • If you're in a hurry for chorine, use liquid or trichlor in a floater (if the CYA is welcome) for the few days this will take.
  • DEFINITELY DO turn off the SWG whenever adding salt. It can temporarily see very high concentrations. Not good.
  • Spread thinly across the shallow end for quickest dissolve. Away from drains to prevent crystals through the pump. Brush to thin out heaps.
  • Don't put full trust in calculations. Overshooting means drain and refill. Take your time.
  • Below is how I do it, normally when water temp is about 55 in the spring. (SWG won't work at less than 60.) It's probably over-cautious, but it's a stress free way to get exactly where you want.
    • Add 2 or 3 bags.
    • Wait a day.
    • Test.
    • Wait another day.
    • Test again. Continue waiting and testing if needed until two tests are the same.
    • Determine the increase so far and divide by the number of bags. Now you have a true ppm per bag for your pool. It's even tailored to this batch of salt (though that's silly unless the salt isn't pure, which it should be).
    • Figure out the remaining ppm needed and how many bags that is.
    • Add half that. Wait the same time it took for readings to be stable last time around.
    • Test. Confirm the ppm per bag figure. Should be the same.
    • If everything looks good, add the last increment to get to the low end of the SWG bracket.
    • Wait again.
    • Test again.
    • You should be there. If you want to be higher in the SWG bracket, the number of bags needed is clear by now.

Reactions: Brazillianguy
You were right.... I retested just now and its 800

Still wondering where the 800 came from. I think potable water is supposed to be under 100. Did you add a bunch of chemicals already containing a lot of salt like liquid bleach? I would tests your city water from the tap and see if you get a reading. You should have 0 salt in it.

Reactions: Brazillianguy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.