Adding CYA

klanel

Silver Supporter
Jul 11, 2021
Athens, GA
Pebble finished pool has been curing for 5 weeks. The pump temp wired, no robot working at this time. Swg cell not installed and adding liquid chlorine to maintain FC.

When/How to add CYA? Liquid or solid? Quantity for 12500 gal pool? Preferred brands? Sources?

I would be close to zero although the chlorine tabs the builder used I was told had a small amount.

Any precautions when adding? For pool or swimmers? Or anything else I didn’t ask.

Thanks

The tabs will add some CYA. After about a month you should have somewhere in the 10-20 range depending on how fast the tabs dissolved. If the water is crystal clear with no signs of algae, you should be able to add about 30 ppm worth of stabilizer. Liquid (conditioner) does the same, but is more expensive. If you have any doubt about algae or hazy water, do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first before increasing the CYA too much.

To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock or similar material and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After soaking for about 20 minutes, start squeezing the sock frequently to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

When/How to add CYA?
A week ago. Stuff a sock(s) and hang in front of a return with the pump running. Use a pole or whatever you have to MacGyver it so it doesn't touch the wall and sits a foot away. You can drive yourself nuts squeezing it every 5 mins, or walk away all lalalalalalalalalala until tomorrow when it will squeeze out in 3 mins all mushy. Up to you. I swear by the lalalalalalalalalalala I have better things to do method FWIW.
Liquid or solid?
Solid. Liquid clumps with the majority of the CYA up in the bottom of the bottle in the sludge. It is nearly impossible to get the right amount if you don't use the whole bottle, and a PITA to rinse the bottle a bunch to get it all if you do need the whole bottle. And liquid is twice as pricey.
Quantity for 12500 gal pool?
PoolMath

Because a little has been added, add 20 and creep up until you get to 30.
Preferred brands? Sources
I used HomeDepot and the pool store. Sometimes they were enroute and a couple dollars more was better than the time lost going elsewhere. Just make sure it says 100% CYA in the ingredients. Even if you used that kind last time.

*edit. Pat beat me. What he said.

30 ppm worth of stabilizer

add 20 and creep up until you get to 30
The poolmath app says Ideal is 70-80. Why are you both saying 30?
I have a friend who cleans pools and gave me about 4# of powder CYA. The app shows I would need almost 8 pounds going from zero to 75. Some tablets were used but not that often and I have not tested for the current CYA levels.

On the sock recommendation, both of you say use a sock,...why? And why not just dump it into the skimmer? My friend said they just dump into the skimmer baskets. Why would this be a bad idea?,...getting into the pump before it dissolved?

Why are you both saying 30?
In post #1 you said the SWG isn't working yet. So you don't need a CYA that high until you get the SWG operating. If you are sure the pool is algae-free, you can take the CYA up to 40 or 50 if you like, especially if the pool gets a lot of intense sunlight.

On the sock recommendation, both of you say use a sock,...why? And why not just dump it into the skimmer?
Never dump in the skimmer. It's too acidic for one, but more than that it will go straight to the filter and take forever to dissolve. If you clean your filter the granules will be wasted. Soaking stabilizer in a sock first then squeezing it out guarantees good assimilation into the water.

Reactions: newdude
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Correct, the SWG not working yet and with all the trees, direct sunlight is about 10a to 5p this time of year.
I have not seen any algae but have made sure to keep the chlorine levels up and PH levels satisfactory.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why do you hang it if it's already in a bag?
Personal preference really. With the stabilizer in a bag, you can either place it in a skimmer to let it soften up, or hang it from the side of the pool near a return jet. Either way, after about 20 min start squeezing. But either way is fine.

* I let it soak for a full 24 hours with better things to do. It squeezes out in 3 mins the next day. It didn't get low overnight. A few more hours won't hurt.

Why do you hang it if it's already in a bag?
I don't like to put it in the skimmer because CYA is very acidic (the A stands for Acid, you know), it can compromise the pump over time, and it takes longer for it to disperse from the filter. Hang it in front of the outlet, and come out to squeeze it after 30 min or an hour. That releases the stuff into the pool, and you haven't endangered your skimmer basket or the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.