coachhim

Mar 30, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have always added CYA to the pool by using a panty hose putting the stabilizer in the in the panty hose then putting the filled panty hose in my skimmer basket. Could I not just slowy add it to the skimmer basket without dissolving it in the panty hose???

I have always added CYA to the pool by using a panty hose putting the stabilizer in the in the panty hose then putting the filled panty hose in my skimmer basket. Could I not just slowy add it to the skimmer basket without dissolving it in the panty hose???
  • It doesn't dissolve that quickly and CYA is *acid*
    • you don't want it sitting in your equipment.
  • You can predissolve it in a 5gal bucket and pour that infront of a running return
  • The easiest method is putting the CYA in a sock (no holes) and hanging it from a pool pole in front of the return with pump running

I have always added CYA to the pool by using a panty hose putting the stabilizer in the in the panty hose then putting the filled panty hose in my skimmer basket.
That is the preferred method. The pump needs to be running when the sock with CYA in it is in the skimmer.

We discourage putting the raw stabilizer directly into the skimmer. It may take a very long time for it to dissolve in your filter. And if you backwash while some of it is still in your sand filter, you will lose it.

You could. But we don't recommend it for a couple reasons
1) You have no idea when it is all dissolved
2) If you need to backwash before it is all dissolved, you lose it. What's in the water? Maybe 50 parts per million. What's in the granules? A million parts per million. Keep it out of the filter.
3) It can clump in the plumbing

It should all dissolve in a day or two in the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.