Adding cal-hypo shock, need remove TCCA tablets from chlorine feeder?

ee7han

Aug 26, 2021
Kuala Lumpur
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have seen various sites stating that not to mix different types of chlorine together which pose the risk of explosion; does this mean while storing them in a dry state? Or there will also be a risk of unwanted chemical reaction if the chlorine is already mixed in my pool?

For example, if i have trichlor tablets in my chlorine feeder, can i shock my pool with cal-hypo?

have seen various sites stating that not to mix different types of chlorine together which pose the risk of explosion; does this mean while storing them in a dry state
If they are separated by packing material than it’s fine. But no direct contact ever. I had a buddy recently use a bucket that must have had residuals or dust in it from the last time. He walked away and it blew, scorching a 5 ft wide swath of his lawn. Luckily he was off in the garage getting whatever else he needed.

Once the chems are highly diluted in the pool they are fine. Your example of shocking with tabs in the feeder for example. Totally fine, but it would be wise to take the extra step of not shocking near the returns where the water hasn’t mixed well yet. Dump on the other side and by the time the two meet, it’s all good.

I have seen various sites stating that not to mix different types of chlorine together which pose the risk of explosion; does this mean while storing them in a dry state? Or there will also be a risk of unwanted chemical reaction if the chlorine is already mixed in my pool?

For example, if i have trichlor tablets in my chlorine feeder, can i shock my pool with cal-hypo?
Just don’t put the cal hypo in the tablet feeder even if it’s empty. That was good advice I actually got from Leslie’s!

Ah apologies, now that I’ve re-read what I posted, I think my question was too vague.
I meant, while having trichlor tabs in my feeder, can I shock my pool with granular cal-hypo by pre-mixing them in a clean bucket, and pour mixed solution around perimeter of pool? Since the water is already being chlorinated by trichlor, will adding a premixed cal-hypo solution as a shock do any harm?

Ah apologies, now that I’ve re-read what I posted, I think my question was too vague.
I meant, while having trichlor tabs in my feeder, can I shock my pool with granular cal-hypo by pre-mixing them in a clean bucket, and pour mixed solution around perimeter of pool? Since the water is already being chlorinated by trichlor, will adding a premixed cal-hypo solution as a shock do any harm?
Yep

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.