adding borax without test kit

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm starting to think about my upcoming pool opening... Generally I find that my chem levels stay consistent throughout the season so I don't have to add too much too it other than occasional top ups. The one exception is PH. When I do my weekly tests I am always around 8.0 so I add muriatic acid to bring it down to 7.4-7.6. I read that borates can help as well as other benefits. I live in Canada and it looks like a borate drop test kit is not available here. I checked TF Test kits and it looks like only strips are available. I saw a post about using my Taylor test kit with added reagents but again I don't think I can get them here.

Are borates naturally occurring or should I assume my current level is zero? If so, can I calculate how much borax I would need (I don't think I can get boric acid here) using the pool math app? I understand that guessing is probably not recommended but am wondering if it is critical in this case. Is there any harm in borates being too high?

Adding borates will not eliminate the need to add acid. It will just allow for you to wait a bit longer between additions. And the amount of acid needed is still the same.

What is your TA? With a vinyl liner pool, your pH should be pretty steady unless your fill water has high TA.

Borates are NOT naturally occurring in water.

I did mine last year without a test kit. seemed to make a difference but with a SWG my PH was drifting upwards but once I let my TA settle around 60-70 it was way better. I say go ahead with the Borax and muriatic acid. just aim for 45-50 ppm. The limit is 50ppm

there is an article about Borates in the pool school.

If you have never added borax or anything containing borates (like proteam supreme) then you can assume you have zero & just add 50ppm.
I just use the strips & check at the beginning of the season, add what i need to get back to 50 (after adjusting ta to around 60ppm) & then let it ride until the beginning of the next season. It’s not something I continuously check since they’re just kind of an extra helping hand & the lowered TA does most of the work.
In my spa I never check at all anymore after the 1st time I dosed & was sure my volume was right & it got me where I was supposed to be. I just add the appropriate amount upon fresh fill (after ta adjustment) & ride it out until I purge & refill again.
Here’s the guide for more info 👇

Reactions: abfab and Saturn94
Adding borates will not eliminate the need to add acid. It will just allow for you to wait a bit longer between additions. And the amount of acid needed is still the same.

What is your TA? With a vinyl liner pool, your pH should be pretty steady unless your fill water has high TA.

Borates are NOT naturally occurring in water.
My target TA is 70. I keep it 60-80 as recommended. should I target 60 instead? What is the harm in it being lower than that?

Don’t bother with the test strips. If they do work at all, they go bad quite quickly even when stored correctly. I won’t buy more of them.

Reactions: abfab
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.