adding a heater

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
I have some questions.
1. How big a deal is this and how expensive is it to add after the fact?
2. We have Hayward equipment and we have gas to the house.
3 is it worth it?
4. How long does the water stay warm after you turn it off? after the storm it was 72F. Now it's 80. SO if I had one and heated it to, say, 87F, would it stay for a while OR do you have to keep it on?
5. Do you have to run it the whole time you are in there?
6. how long does it take to heat up?
TIA!

1. I recently had an old Laars lite2 250k btu replaced with a Raypak 266k btu.
everything was already plumbed in but the final bill was $ 2,950 in my region.
That included a new taller chimney to meet current code. I've read extending
a gas line can be expensive if it's way further away from the equipment pad.

2. I'd suggest a RayPak over a hayward unit. Less parts & general higher reliability. (majority on the forum agree)

3. I'm not in Texas, but in the pacific nw I'd say a heater is a necessity.
Pools here only get up to about 75 at most naturally in the summer weather.

4. Depends on if it;s covered and night time temps.
I have a bubble cover on all night and all day during weekdays.
If the temp hovers around 65 at night and 90 during the day and I heat the pool
to 85 degrees, it will generally maintain that for days...probably a lot different where you are though.

Mine takes 1 hour to add 2 degrees.

I would think in Houston if you had a solar cover it would keep pretty warm, maybe even too hot.

My kids complain if I leave the cover on all the time during the summer, they say the pool is too hot.

Most of the heat loss is due to evaporation at night, so if you cover the pool you don't lose much heat, and it will be much warmer.

Heating time for me is about also about 2 degrees an hour, if I remember correctly. It depends on the BTU of your heater, and size of the pool.
BTW, I think my sig is wrong. Pool heater is probably 360 BTU or thereabouts lol.

I would think in Houston if you had a solar cover it would keep pretty warm, maybe even too hot.

My kids complain if I leave the cover on all the time during the summer, they say the pool is too hot.

Most of the heat loss is due to evaporation at night, so if you cover the pool you don't lose much heat, and it will be much warmer.

Heating time for me is about also about 2 degrees an hour, if I remember correctly. It depends on the BTU of your heater, and size of the pool.
BTW, I think my sig is wrong. Pool heater is probably 360 BTU or thereabouts lol.

SO solar covers DO work? Everything i had read about them before said not really or no or something. Before the hurricane, the water was 92. 5 days later it was 72. Yesterday it was 82 and I could swim but I could not stop moving....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.