Adding a hayward Skimmer on intex 18x52? Forgot outside gasket? Adding second return

The details of my pool setup are in my sig, but basically stock sand filter + salt water system with the dual outlet ports on the pool.

Currently i just use the side floating basket as the skimmer.. while one of the two ports are blocked to allow for better skimming.

I've read on here and various other places of people adding a "hayward" skimmer to the side by cutting a hole..

I'm trying to wrap my head around how it would interconnect and if it would mean that i couldnt use the hose attachment anymore, for vacuuming the pool?

Would it also work with the existing pump and setup, possibly just requiring a converter for differences in tube sizes perhaps?
There was a good thread on this here, but it appears the pictures are all gone/missing.. The videos online i've seen only seem to show the end result (no cutting etc)

I originally assumed i had to do this before filling the water levels back up (I already took the cover off, started filling it back up, then stopped thinking maybe now rather than next year).
edit: sounds like you can technically install this even after the water levels are at the season open level.

It sounded as if you could basically mount it say near the second port, maybe an inch down from the top edge (one block visible) and cut the whole attach it and the hoses and be done.

My pool left to right has the inlet port that blows the water back in from the sand pump first.. then a few feet and you are at the two outlet ports ( I O O ) basically.
**Would it just connect on the Y tube portion that splits between the outlets?

Any thoughts / suggestions and also which exact skimmer do i want to go for here? Any risk that the hole i cut fails and im out a pool or have a major patch to do? (looks like you just screw the bracket in place and make a cut inside it, i think)

EDIT: i think the item needed is just this $36 one here? (SP1091LX)

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

here are some pics:

intex%20inlets.jpg

intex%20outlets.jpg

Re: Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Suggestions, tip

The details of my pool setup are in my sig, but basically stock sand filter + salt water system with the dual outlet ports on the pool.

Currently i just use the side floating basket as the skimmer.. while one of the two ports are blocked to allow for better skimming.

I've read on here and various other places of people adding a "hayward" skimmer to the side by cutting a hole..

I'm trying to wrap my head around how it would interconnect and if it would mean that i couldnt use the hose attachment anymore, for vacuuming the pool?

Would it also work with the existing pump and setup, possibly just requiring a converter for differences in tube sizes perhaps?
There was a good thread on this here, but it appears the pictures are all gone/missing.. The videos online i've seen only seem to show the end result (no cutting etc)

I originally assumed i had to do this before filling the water levels back up (I already took the cover off, started filling it back up, then stopped thinking maybe now rather than next year).
edit: sounds like you can technically install this even after the water levels are at the season open level.

It sounded as if you could basically mount it say near the second port, maybe an inch down from the top edge (one block visible) and cut the whole attach it and the hoses and be done.

My pool left to right has the inlet port that blows the water back in from the sand pump first.. then a few feet and you are at the two outlet ports ( I O O ) basically.

Any thoughts / suggestions and also which exact skimmer do i want to go for here? Any risk that the hole i cut fails and im out a pool or have a major patch to do? (looks like you just screw the bracket in place and make a cut inside it, i think)

EDIT: i think the item needed is just this $36 one here? (SP1091LX)

Thanks in advance
There are quite a few threads here on this, a quick search on the site will bring up a lot of relative info.

There is a link in my signature to my Hayward Skimmer install, I hope that helps.

Re: Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Suggestions, tip

There are quite a few threads here on this, a quick search on the site will bring up a lot of relative info.

There is a link in my signature to my Hayward Skimmer install, I hope that helps.
thanks for the link to your pics..

Curious.. i cant tell from your pics.. (i added my pics).. did your pool originally have two outlets like mine? I see you switched to PVC piping.. i was hoping to avoid all that.. any idea how you convert from the hayward size tube to the size needed with my sand pump combo?

Can i just connect onto the Y tube you see in my photo somehow and be done (go pvc later perhaps).. ie: using some sort of adapter, i assume the sizes are different.

Also.. i see there is this model.. SP1091WM which is wider.. would going with that reduce the drop in water level.. keeping it at say "2.5 blocks from the top" or is it possible to hit this level with proper mount on the other model too?

I run the water level at about 2/3-3/4 up the opening, and loose about 2-1/2 squares of depth, about 2" lower from where I used to have it. I have no experience with the wide mouth, but the skimmer works best when at least 1/2 way up the opening, even better at 2/3 so regardless of width, that's where your water level would be. I honestly don't miss the 2" of depth.

I did not have the dual suction setup. If I did I would install Hayward wall fittings in their place, and plug them. You could just loop them to each other with a piece of hose, but that will create stagnant water in that hose if you don't move the water yourself with a running garden hose or similar. Algae will begin to grow in stagnant water.

If you want to just hook up the Intex hose directly to the skimmer, use the GAME 40mm Adapter. One end is threaded to screw into the skimmer, the other is threaded to accept the Intex fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/GAME-4560-Conversion-Intex-Bestway/dp/B004TYBCEG

I run the water level at about 2/3-3/4 up the opening, and loose about 2-1/2 squares of depth, about 2" lower from where I used to have it. I have no experience with the wide mouth, but the skimmer works best when at least 1/2 way up the opening, even better at 2/3 so regardless of width, that's where your water level would be. I honestly don't miss the 2" of depth.

I did not have the dual suction setup. If I did I would install Hayward wall fittings in their place, and plug them. You could just loop them to each other with a piece of hose, but that will create stagnant water in that hose if you don't move the water yourself with a running garden hose or similar. Algae will begin to grow in stagnant water.

If you want to just hook up the Intex hose directly to the skimmer, use the GAME 40mm Adapter. One end is threaded to screw into the skimmer, the other is threaded to accept the Intex fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/GAME-4560-Conversion-Intex-Bestway/dp/B004TYBCEG

Sounds like i could basically use the regular version, line the bracket up so i can get my targeted water level and attach at that point (no harm if mounting into the gray a little to achieve)..

So i should basically shut off the old outlets.. not real clear on how to plug them though.. i saw some mentioned using the cap from the sand filter outlet but how, all that comes out of the outlets is the black plastic tube.. and i'd need spare caps, two of them, maybe intex sells these in kits..

Thanks for the link to the attachment.. i guess i'd use that and go directly to the pump, skipping the dual outlet y adapter since both outlets will be shut off.. or i think i read some just used a metal hose clamp and tightened..

How does the vac (intex) work with the skimmer.. do you submerge it then feed it through the opening in the pool.. (or get a regular vac type).

No need to lose any water depth. Just mount the skimmer higher up. This is what mine looks likeView attachment 58993

Isnt that the WM wider model.. not the LX though? I suppose with the LX i could just mount it higher up.. wanted to make sure if i went with the WM too, that its wider width wasnt a problem with an 18 (round) shaped pool vs the narrower one.. either model i'd make it high enough that the water level was at the block line i'm used to filling it at

The LX and the WM are the same, the WM just has an extra attachment in front, as you can see in the picture above. Seems most people with round pools go for the LX, but there are some examples here on the forum of WM on round pools with no issues.

here is one: Widemouth skimmer mounted to Intex above welded seam

search for "widemouth" gives you more examples

Ah brilliant find, thank you, thats the exact water depth i'm at currently as well.. i had done some searching but didnt find this specific one.

Looks like they dont have it quite 1/2 or 2/3 as most put the water line on the skimmer for some reason, or its a bad angle, either way, plenty of clearance..

The one thing i'm unclear on is the step people say to cut the gasket (in half?) when there is water in the pool.. my pool is currently 2 blocks from the top normal level.. i was going to attemp this without lowering the water, though maybe i should just drain a few inches back off and go from there.

I cant visualize the "butterfly" gasket, but it sounds as if i would line the bracket up drill the holes.. make sure both sides will line up, secure them together without the gasket.. cut the opening with a knife.. then take the bracket off inside the pool and put the gasket on so its on the pool side and also attach on the outside between pool and the other side of the skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yeah, the water level is too low in that pic, should be up to the screws.

This thread talks about the pros and cons of cutting the gasket. Basically, if you cut the gasket in half, you can mount the skimmer before cutting the liner, thus not having to drain the pool below skimmer and then refill.

Heyward gasket for intex

Ah, looks like one person put the pool side bracket on the Outside of the pool (backwards) then put the skimmer box on the inside of the pool, cut the liner once tight (without gasket), then took apart and reversed.. but i guess if the water is already up to that level that would be hard to do..

Seems the easiest is to cut in half, or lower water so not an issue, mount without gasket, cut, remove, add gasket (not cut).

If you cut the gasket in half, you can complete the mounting of the skimmer, then cut the liner through the skimmer opening and be done. No need to disassemble and remount. Or you can use the front plate as a template to mark the cut, cut the liner and then mount the uncut gasket and the skimmer. Then refill water to right level.

The wide mouth version came today, but its connector on the bottom has threads that are about 2.7" across.. how do i go from that to the intex hose.. i dont think the game adapter will do the trick there.

skimmerpipe.jpg

Adding a hayward Skimmer to the sidewall of an intex 18x52 Pool? Suggestions, tips?

That is a 1-1/2" FPT. If you don't believe it is, bring it to Home Depot and find the MPT fitting that does fit, I bet it's 1-1/2. The 1-1/2 pipe thread measures larger than 1-1/2", same goes for the 40MM thread.

The GAME adapter will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wide mouth version came today, but its connector on the bottom has threads that are about 2.7" across.. how do i go from that to the intex hose.. i dont think the game adapter will do the trick there.

skimmerpipe.jpg

So i guess the one adapter with threads screws into the hole.. that makes the other end a 1.25" which can take a crimp on hose..

So i guess somehow the intex pump hose will interface with the game adapter then onto this 1.25" end (or if i switch to pvc piping, then what would i use, some sort of 1.25 to 1.5 clamp on rubber attachment?)

Is there any harm in putting the skimmer to right of the 2nd outlet hole.. vs putting it in between the two outlet holes (so basically 3 full sections away from the return inlet/eyeball, as seen in the first post pic)? Trying to settle on where i'm putting this.. i think most do go to the right of the outlet, but often thats single outlet setups, so closer to the return, mine has the two to the right of the return.

Ideally, the skimmer should be placed so the prevailing winds blow the debris towards the skimmer.

When looking at the rotational movement of the water established by the return jet, the skimmer should be before the return jet, if the skimmer is directly after the return jet the jet may push debris away from the skimmer.

I hope that makes sense LOL

Ideally, the skimmer should be placed so the prevailing winds blow the debris towards the skimmer.

When looking at the rotational movement of the water established by the return jet, the skimmer should be before the return jet, if the skimmer is directly after the return jet the jet may push debris away from the skimmer.

I hope that makes sense LOL

Yep sure does.. its definitely before the return, but i just didnt know if slightly to the right of the second outlet was "too far".. i guess its ok there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.