Canfield ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I had a company open my pool yesterday. Not sure exactly what chemicals they put in, but I am sure they threw some shock in the pool. The water is clear and blue. Here are my tests from this morning:
FC 4
CC 1
TA 120
CH 125
PH 8
CYA 50-60 (I filled to 50 and could still see the dot. I then filled to 60 and could not)

I know I have to SLAM because of the CC at 1, but I do not have any bleach on hand and probably won't get that started until tomorrow. I had some DiChlor sitting around from last year before I found TFP. I threw in 4 pounds just to get the chlorine level up until I can SLAM knowing that I do need to raise my CYA to 70. I figured this would do it. Was this ok to use?

Also, my TA is 120 and with a SWG pool, TFP recommends it to be much lower. I added Muriatic acid to lower the PH. Is the high TA something I need to worry about? It is at the normal level for a non SWG pool. It does not seem to be easy to lower TA. Thanks!

How does your water look? The CC of 1 implies something may be in the water. I would not use any more dichlor as that is adding CYA which will increase the FC level you need to SLAM, if necessary.

TA will drop over time as you maintain your pH. For now, I would not worry about it. Test it weekly as you need the value in PoolMath to determine how much acid to use to drop your pH, when necessary.

How does your water look? The CC of 1 implies something may be in the water. I would not use any more dichlor as that is adding CYA which will increase the FC level you need to SLAM, if necessary.

TA will drop over time as you maintain your pH. For now, I would not worry about it. Test it weekly as you need the value in PoolMath to determine how much acid to use to drop your pH, when necessary.
The water looks really good but I will SLAM once I get the bleach because of CC of 1. I just added the DiChlor figuring it would do two things. Get a decent amount of chlorine in the pool unitl I can SLAM and get my CYA up to 70 which is the recommended level for SWG. Also, it seemed like a good way to use it unstead of just leaving it sit there or throw it away! I will not add any more.

Thanks!

The water looks really good but I will SLAM once I get the bleach because of CC of 1. I just added the DiChlor figuring it would do two things. Get a decent amount of chlorine in the pool unitl I can SLAM and get my CYA up to 70 which is the recommended level for SWG. Also, it seemed like a good way to use it unstead of just leaving it sit there or throw it away! I will not add any more.

Thanks!
What is your water temp? Is the SWG operational?

The temperature of the water is 67 and climbing. I have the heater turned on, The SWG was operational, but I turned it off. I figured the addition of the dichlor would take my FC to about 16. I am keeping it covered and was going to test the FC again tonight or tomorrow to see how much I lost to give me a better idea of if I have a problem. Since the pool has been covered since I added the dichlor, if I test when I get home am I correct in assuming that it is the same as a OCLT?

The temperature of the water is 67 and climbing. I have the heater turned on, The SWG was operational, but I turned it off. I figured the addition of the dichlor would take my FC to about 16. I am keeping it covered and was going to test the FC again tonight or tomorrow to see how much I lost to give me a better idea of if I have a problem. Since the pool has been covered since I added the dichlor, if I test when I get home am I correct in assuming that it is the same as a OCLT?
No. Estimated starting point isn't good enough. It needs to be measured accurately with a FAS-DPD test. I would go so far as to use the 25 ml sample so each drop is .2 FC. Then you'll really know for sure. Also, unless it's pitch black under the cover, some UV is getting through.

Just test it after sunset when there's no direct sunlight and set the alarm clock a few minutes earlier and check it again before the sun hits the water. It's not so bad this time of year -- people doing an OCLT in late June will have to get up mighty early!

Thanks for the responses. I will do the OCLT test tonight. I will also probably stop and buy bleach on my home from work and bring it up to shock level figuring that won't hurt. The water looks really good but just in case I have something lurking, I want to nail it early. I will then test before bed and tomorrow morning. If I fail the OCLT, then I will continue to SLAM. If I need to it should be a quick one.

Reactions: splashpad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Passed the OCLT. Last night after sundown, my FC was 25. It was the same this morning. Water is chrystal clear. I still have a little cc though. I don't think it is quite 1. The first drop almost clears it, but there is a hint of pink. The second drop does clears it so I am calling it one. The pool has been covered all winter and since it has been opened. I am going to leave the cover off and let the sun hit it all day to see if that clears it up. Also, I need to let my FC drift back down.

I know I asked this in the past, but I just want to make sure. Is it safe to swim with FC that high? My CYA is now 70 after adding the dichlor. I know from past answers that it is safe to swim up to shock level, but I think I just need some reassurance.

Thanks!

Reactions: splashpad
I know I asked this in the past, but I just want to make sure. Is it safe to swim with FC that high? My CYA is now 70 after adding the dichlor. I know from past answers that it is safe to swim up to shock level, but I think I just need some reassurance.
Yup! As long as FC is tested under CYA shock level (( FC/CYA Levels )) but above min, it's safe to swim! If it's warm enough and clear enough to see swimmers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.