Added bromine New Swim spa with Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP)

Magnitude

Aug 31, 2020
New york
I did not do my due diligence to read and understand just how different Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) systems are and how it effects pool/spa chemistry.
So I received the swim spa with a started kit, which included a bottle of Leisure Time renew (bromine). I had never used bromine and had no idea I first needed a bank etc.
My question is with these type of (AOP) swim spas what is the recommended new fill and maintenance procedure?
The AOP process changes pool chemistry drastically is a new approach needed, calculator etc.
if I have to re-fill to get rid of bromine it is what is, I just want clean sanitize water for the kids.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you haven't rec'd any responses yet on this...... perhaps because as I find- I have *no* idea what an "Advanced Oxidation Process" is!?

We focus on chlorine upkeep here at TFP. A little CYA and some chlorine does wonders for most spas and pools. ;)

Maddie

I noticed. Maybe more details would help.

I Have an H2X trainer Swim Spa
2,500 Gallons
It has the Mast3rPur™ Water Management System [AOP] below is a quick overview pic and below a nice article that really goes deep into what it is.
I started with super clear municipal water and the pool was doing fine for the first few days. than it started getting kinda cloudy. i had already added the leisure renew, so i read about bromine and went out and purchase the sodium and established a bank. What i have noticed from reading lots of articles is that chlorine is what is used as a supplement with this type of system not bromine. So my thoughts are to drain the spa and start again. Should i treat it as a regular pool and get my chlorine and ph leveled or should i be treating this a bit different from the start? if i do go the chlorine route i see some of you are using just regular bleach. should i use bleach or stick with chlorine tablets?

The Big 3 of Sanitation Explained: Ozone, UV and AOP
An expert provides a deeper look into how the three water-sanitation processes work separately and together
By Beth Hamil

There is still some confusion surrounding the science behind ozone and UV systems, even though these two water sanitation processes have been available for a while. When the two are combined to form the newest innovation – Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) -- there can be even more confusion. AOP has been around for more than 30 years in the wastewater-treatment world, but has only recently become an affordable option for aquatics facilities and residential pools. In order to fully grasp AOP, one must first understand the nature of ozone and UV – as well as their performance.

What is Ozone?
Ozone (O3) is a gas that can be created inside a chamber by passing oxygen through either a light energy field (called UV ozone) or an electrical energy field (called CD ozone). The ozone generator uses either light or electrical energy as well as oxygen from the surrounding air. Regular oxygen molecules (O2) get split into two individual atoms (O1) when this kind of energy is added. The O1 atoms then unite with other oxygen molecules (O2), which produces O3. The only difference between ozone generated by light energy vs. electrical energy is the quantity -- electrical generation produces higher ozone output.
When dissolved in water, ozone will kill pathogens and microorganisms, destroy organics and inorganics, and also will break down chloramines through oxidation. The oxidation reaction happens when an ozone molecule collides with an oxidizable substance, such as algae, bacteria, sweat, urine, mold spores, and protozoa, which then causes the weakly bonded third oxygen atom to split off. During this reaction, organic molecules are destroyed, and dissolved metals become insoluble. The leftover byproduct is O2, which capably reduces chlorine consumption by 50-75 percent.
DEL Ozone
Ozone is a significantly stronger oxidizer than chlorine, and is able to kill chlorine-resistant cryptosporidium parvum. It’s an antimicrobial oxidizer that is a sanitizer and a disinfectant, which is highly effective in removing biofilm. Ozone also is an impressive microflocculant. It clumps organic and inorganic contaminants together during the oxidation process so they’re more easily removed by the filter.

What is Germicidal UV?
DEL Ozone
Germicidal UV systems (also known as Ultraviolet Sterilizers) pass water through a chamber and expose it to light, which kills microorganisms and breaks down chloramines using light energy. In order to sanitize water, specific UV light rays must be used – 254 nm has the greatest germicidal action. The germicidal light alters or disrupts the DNA or RNA of microorganisms such as algae, bacteria, viruses, mold spores, and protozoa. This essentially destroys the microorganisms as they pass through the UV chamber.
A UV lamp produces UV light in a chamber that is powered by electricity. It effectively inactivates harmful microorganisms, including cryptosporidium parvum. The process leaves no harmful byproducts and is able to reduce chlorine consumption by 25-50 percent.

How are they different?
The two forms of water sanitation are easily confused. Both ozone and UV are EPA-approved water sanitizing devices. They’re also compatible with chlorine, able to reduce chloramines, and are environmentally friendly technologies. However, ozone is able to provide oxidation and UV is not, which is a very important characteristic of ozone.
Germicidal UV uses light rays alone to disrupt DNA or RNA of microorganisms. Ozone is a gas that can effectively be created using light or electrical energy. It may then be safely dissolved in water in order to destroy microorganisms and break down chloramines through oxidation.
What is Advanced Oxidation Process or AOP?
This is where ozone and UV come together. There are many forms of AOP, but the most common one – and the one available in the pool and spa industry – is made through a combination of CD ozone and UV. Combining ozone and UV technology into one cohesive system creates synergistic sanitation, which maximizes disinfection, water clarity, and chloramine removal.
In an AOP system, ozone gas is dissolved in water and then passes through a chamber with a germicidal ultraviolet lamp. When UV energy is combined with ozone, it creates a chemical reaction resulting in hydroxyl radicals - short-lived, but very powerful oxidizers that can kill pathogens and microorganisms, as well as destroy inorganic contaminants in the water. They’re even stronger oxidizers than ozone alone.
DEL Ozone
In order to have AOP, both ozone and UV are needed. As water flows through the system, hydroxyl radicals are being formed continuously. This cannot occur without ozone. The more ozone molecules in the system, the more hydroxyl radicals are created.
After the hydroxyl radicals oxidize contaminants in the water, they quickly convert back to oxygen. This makes AOP a safe, sustainable, and green technology. It also provides the cleanest pool water with the lowest amount of chlorine needed.

Attachments

• 1600042780044.png
    1600042780044.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1600043493556.png
    1600043493556.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hate to say this, but AOP is a gimmick. It provides minimal oxidation and zero residual sanitation to the water which is essential for any pool and especially a spa with such a massive bather load for a small body of water.

Please don't post marketing materials when asked about a product. I'm sure you can understand why we don't particularly trust a company trying to sell a product, we prefer 3rd party data which is usually much more reliable. What you posted is very unreliable, it even treats Beth Hamil as an expert despite her being a vice president of Del Industries.

So are you attempting to operate a bromine spa? If so we can help. Bromine is a generally safe sanitation and oxidation system for a spa. Anything else must be secondary to this, otherwise an unsafe situation can arise. A spa is the last thing you want to gamble with, a small and warm water source is the perfect place for some very dangerous bugs to grow in.

removed the that marketing part. sorry about that.

I am attempting to have the best environment for the kids to swim in. it does not matter if its bromine or chlorine. But the ozone and uv are having some effects on the chemicals. it has been very difficult to keep bromine levels up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.