Add-on test kit for FC only?

volcano

Bronze Supporter
Jun 29, 2018
Central NY
I have the Taylor K-1003 test kit and it's got everything (more than everything) that I need for my tiny 1000 gal seasonal pool, except that the FC test only reads up to 5 ppm. Recommendations for a cheap add-on that will get me FC measurements up to 10 ppm or so? Thanks!

Although for a pool your size, it's probably cheaper to dump the water if there's a problem beyond your kit's ability.
Thanks @Richard320! We're on well water and all of our water passes through an iron filter that has to be cycled regularly (see last year's posts when I turned the pool orange... :rolleyes:-- this year I filled slowly over three days and cycled the iron filter daily) so refilling would actually be a huge pain in the butt.
Forgive me for a likely-obvious question, but I can't find seem to find a clear answer-- what's the highest FC that you'd swim at? I can skip the additional kit and just use PoolMath to overshoot 5 ppm by a bit, then add more Cl when it drops to 5 ppm (measurable with my kit). Not sure what's a reasonable amount to overshoot without risking eye irritation, etc. though. Thanks!

Thanks @Richard320! We're on well water and all of our water passes through an iron filter that has to be cycled regularly (see last year's posts when I turned the pool orange... :rolleyes:-- this year I filled slowly over three days and cycled the iron filter daily) so refilling would actually be a huge pain in the butt.
Forgive me for a likely-obvious question, but I can't find seem to find a clear answer-- what's the highest FC that you'd swim at? I can skip the additional kit and just use PoolMath to overshoot 5 ppm by a bit, then add more Cl when it drops to 5 ppm (measurable with my kit). Not sure what's a reasonable amount to overshoot without risking eye irritation, etc. though. Thanks!
That depends entirely on the CYA level.

When I took over my pool, my CYA was somewhere in the 220-240 range. I was swimming in 24 FC no problem. Anywhere between minimum for your CYA and shock level for your CYA is safe to swim. FC/CYA Levels

Rumor has it there's a color-matching kit that will read up to 10. Not sure if it's any more accurate than the 0-5 one you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.