May 22, 2021
Enfield, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Moved from here.
It's all trial-and-error. Let's say you start at 5, add enough to get you to 7, and 24 hours later you're at 4. You didn't add enough; with CYA at 65, minimum FC is 5. You dipped below that. It will only take you a week or two to know your usual consumption. By the way, 65 CYA is not too high if it's real hot and sunny. Knowing your typical consumption, you can get lazy - we all do, eventually. You'll be able to skip testing once in a while and just dump in the usual amount. And you'll also be alerted if consumption suddenly goes up without a good reason, like a pool party with 8 6 year old boys or something.

They key is to add enough to keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA level until you can add more. Pool Calculator is your friend, bookmark it. Big party? Load up 2 or 3 ppm beforehand.
Quick follow up - is the point here to make sure the FC level is always above minimum #? Should I be testing throughout the day, like I did when I was SLAMMING? My plan is to test every evening, adjust to get the level up, run the filter for a couple hours... and repeat the next night. My fear is by doing that, the pool could potentially get below that level for a period of time during the day, and get algae again.

is the point here to make sure the FC level is always above minimum #?
Yes.
Should I be testing throughout the day, like I did when I was SLAMMING?
That is not necessary.
My plan is to test every evening, adjust to get the level up, run the filter for a couple hours... and repeat the next night.
Perfect. Raise the FC to Target Range or just above. Test the next evening. If your FC is close to minimum, raise the FC a bit higher. You should find a chlorine amount that will always keep you above minimum.

Yes.

That is not necessary.

Perfect. Raise the FC to Target Range or just above. Test the next evening. If your FC is close to minimum, raise the FC a bit higher. You should find a chlorine amount that will always keep you above minimum.
Omg duh. I get it now. Above minimum.. not bring it to minimum. So I can go a couple above to get it go always be above minimum in range, throughout any given day.

You're going to lose between 2-4 PPM. Raise it so when you lose you NEVER go below the minimum. I run hot. I am always below SLAM level, 8-10 just to be sure I NEVER go below the Minimum.

After a while you will get to know your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.