Add chlorine directly to pool or through the skimmer?

May 30, 2017
Ramer
So my FC loss has stayed consistent at 3-3.5 ppm daily no matter the conditions......hot or cool days, heavy or light use, cya of 40 or 50, it doesn't matter. Either way it seems a little on the high side for FC loss. I add liquid chlorine to the skimmer rather than directly to the pool. Could this cause loss before it gets into the water from organic material in the filter? Or will it have an effect at all?

Adding to the skimmer is not recommended and I don't see how this could cause FC loss. I would think that any organic matter in the filter would already be "dead" from past chlorine having done its job on it. Without knowing your specific situation, you daily loss does not seem high.

But if you're really curious, add chlorine to the pool (in front of return jet) after sundown, let the pump run for 30 mins to circulate and test your water again to see if you experienced the expected rise in FC.

The organic material in your filter is treated the same way as anywhere else in your pool, by contact with chlorinated water. It's all part of the same system. Let's say there was something in your filter that was consuming chlorine, it would get consumed in the same way whether it went 'straight to the filter' via the skimmer, or more diluted via the rest of the water. Hope that makes sense.

Is there any reason you add it to the skimmer? My understanding is that the reason this isn't recommended is only because then it exposes your equipment to a higher concentration of chlorine than if it had been diluted in the pool first. Maybe someone else can expand on that, but that's my understanding.

As mentioned, the average pool looses 2 to 4 ppm per day, depending on weather and bather load, so it sounds like you're right in line there (especially since you say it's consistent, not a sudden jump in consumption).

What is it about that amount of demand that concerns you?

Putting chlorine directly thru in the skimmer is harsh on the gaskets and equipment. Please just add to the pool water for instant dilution, in front of a return helps mix it best.

Are you sure about the strength of your chlorine? What percentage of chlorine are you using? Is it new, fresh stock or something you picked up at Lowes or HD that's been sitting out in the hot sun losing strength by the day?

Is your pool in the hot sun all day? Anyone like a baby or toddler who may be peeing in the water? Where is Ramer??

I would do as elight suggests and re-test your pool's FC 30 minutes after dosing to see if it actually met your desired FC goal?

Maddie :flower:

Bestjoeyever..........there's not really a concern over the loss, it just seems like it should differ from the hot, high use days last month to the cooler, low use days recently. Not to mention I brought the cya up from 40 to 50 with no change. The only foreseeable concern I have is the chlorine I'm using is starting to dwindle away at the store with nearly 2 months left to use the pool.

Yippeskippy.........I'm using the 10% chlorine from walmart and I search through the stock to find the freshest, right now a june manufacture date. My pool gets full sun from about 10 am to 4pm, but we have been experiencing unseasonably cool temps for the past week (mid-high 80s) with not a lot of use and everyone gets out to use the bathroom. Ramer is in SW Tennessee.

Just a quick note: There is nothing wrong with using bleach if you run out of the 10%. I use the Great Value Cleaning Bleach, it's only 6% so you have to adjust accordingly, but I get it for $1.77 a full gallon.

Yeah, that's just about the best price going now Bob. The PoolMath App shows that to be $0.244/ounce. The plain Publix bleach I bought yesterday was 8.25% (still) and $3.09 which came out to be $0.31/ounce. I just can't see myself going to Wallyworld. I *never* shop there. I'm afraid I'll end up on the infamous People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart website!!! LOL

No more Costco bleach for ole Maddie anymore. This biz with Clorox jacking up the price and lowering the strength bugs me. Almost (but not quite!) as much as all the copper they put in those pool products we've been discussing lately. Clorox XtraBlue is evil in pools!

Maddie :flower:

I never need to supplement my swg, but when I slam (opening, cover failure, let's not talk about it) then I actually buy bulk CL from the pool store. It's 12.5%, fresher, and cheaper prices litre (not even account for the higher percent) than buying 8.25 or 10% at the store. I think it's like $0.53 per litre (a gallon is 3.78 litres). Maybe it's just a Canadian thing? Do pool stores wherever you are not sell chlorine?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.