add a skimmer

Jun 30, 2017
middletown ohio
first off I'm new here so i need all the help i can get
i want to add a through wall skimmer to my intex above ground steel frame pool
i have watched vidios and none of them show what to do with the preinstalled suction hose
were the skimmer would hook to i assume that you would use that hole for the skimmer
but no one shows that in the vidios if any one has any info please let me know.

Hi, welcome to TFP! One of the issues is that Intex keeps improving their product, so a pool that was modified 5 years ago probably won't have the same openings or use the same size fittings as a pool made recently. Most of the people who add skimmers find a section of pool wall a foot or two away from the current openings and install the skimmer as high on the pool as they can to get the maximum depth in their pool. Alot of our members have gotten creative with the original openings in their intex. One is used as a return. Some have adapted the additional openings to run a fountain or to make a dedicated vacuum line. If you don't want to try to modify the extra openings at this time, I would install a fitting with a threaded opening and screw in a threaded plug. Then if you decide to add something in the future it will be ready to go.

Hi there, I can't figure out how to start a new topic. May I hijack for a second? I have a new 9x18 intex ultra frame pool. Up and running great. I'd like to install a skimmer and have already purchased one. My question is about the height of the skimmer. I notice in pics that people have installed so low that they are keeping their pools shallower. Anyone install at the top seam or slightly above? I want to keep the full depth of my pools capability. (Even with the splash out of the corners issue!!!) gonna try to fix that too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.