Add a hot tub after the pool is built?

CPinOaktonVA

Oct 11, 2020
Fairfax Va.
Originally we were managing budget issues and honestly just haven't seen hot tubs be used enough to want to build one. Now that we have the pool almost operational, we're starting to wonder if we should have build it. Question is, how feasible and expensive is it to consider adding a hot tub after a pool is installed. Would we have to duplicate everything (pump, heater, filter, etc...? Is it possible?

I'm no expert, but normally a if the hot tub is not in the initial build, then a separate stand alone hot tub is purchased. This has a couple of benefits in that the stand alone hot tubs are more comfortable and easier to operate (keep warm) than attached spa, and can also be located anywhere you want. Down side is it's a seperate purchase, and separate thing to maintain.

I asked a local pool remodeler here in Phoenix about adding an in-ground hot tub next to our pool when we had the pool resurfaced, since we have the open space. He said it was possible, but the cost would have been $35-40k vs buying a standalone unit for $10-15k. He said that when the existing shell of the pool is changed, we'd basically have to start from scratch with engineering (I think??), permitting, etc. Also would take 6+ months to get a permit here in Phoenix. He strongly recommended against adding one for those reasons, so we just bought a standalone unit.

CP,

Have you ever been in a gunite spa? If not, before you decide to add one, please try one out.

While 50% of people love them, that leaves 50% of people who do not. You need to know which group you are in before spending the big bucks.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: CPinOaktonVA
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.