Actuator to control flow through a 2 way valve

Thanks Brian. It will home developed automation. I'm from an IT background so the programming is not an issue. The electronics side is more of a struggle for me but luckily I know people who will help with that (hopefully).

Hello Jon, I was under the impression you couldn't set the limit switches remotely. i.e. you have to physically press a button on the actuator or open it up and adjust a cam

Brian, my suggestion was to cut the power when the valve reaches the position of the required flow rate. However, I'm suggesting doing this in a series of small bursts so that a flow meter can report back on the flow rate after each burst of power. i.e. a computer program is controlling when the actuator is given the voltage to continue in its current direction. From what pooldv and Matt have observed that seems like a possibility.

Correct, except that is nothing a cat6 cable won't solve. Tap off the limit switches and then bring these 3 wires out of the valve Contr on enclosure and into your controller. When you reach the flow you want, close or open the limit signal and the valve stops there.

- - - Updated - - -

What are you using fora controller? What are you using for I/O?

If it helps any at all - wouldn't take you long to figure this out, but for your timings - I've got 4 actuators - those that turn 90 degrees take about 15 seconds and those that turn 180 take double that - about 30 seconds. You'll have play with it of course, but if you don't have one yet, those timings will give an idea of their speed of movement. These are the standard Pentair actuators, not that fancier one.

If it helps any at all - wouldn't take you long to figure this out, but for your timings - I've got 4 actuators - those that turn 90 degrees take about 15 seconds and those that turn 180 take double that - about 30 seconds. You'll have play with it of course, but if you don't have one yet, those timings will give an idea of their speed of movement. These are the standard Pentair actuators, not that fancier one.

As long as accuracy is not necessary, this would work. My preference is usually to closed loop controls. If he can measure what he wants (flow rate I assume here), he can measure the flow rate against a desired reference, and stop the valve when that rate is achieved. Now he need only change the reference and the balance will follow, independent of speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.