Acrylic Slide Repair

guzmanense

May 6, 2019
Rialto, CA
My acrylic slide has developed a crack right on the bottom end near the pool...it is a line almost in the middle perpendicular to the length of the slide (I will post a picture this afternoon)...but just to get started with the conversation, has anyone been able to repair one? I know that SR Smith, makers of slides sells a kit. UPDATE: added pictures
slide3.jpgslide.jpgslide2.jpgslide1.jpg

Last edited:
@jonlee did a slide repair recently.

If you can work with fiberglass on acrylic, it's not too bad. I just dont know how all that works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190610-153721_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-153721_Gallery.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20190610-153733_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-153733_Gallery.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20190610-153838_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190610-153838_Gallery.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 32
Thank you all. I have seen lots of repairs using the fiberglass method, seems like its viable. SR Smith the maker sells a repair KIT but I haven't seen a video or even instructions from them on their website for using it. I like how @jonlee screenshots show how great it can turn out.
The slide is only 8 yrs old and replacing it would be around $3K. So if I can't fix it cheaply, we will not have a slide for the kids in the near-future, no big deal. But I'm really trying to figure out a way. I have reached out to SR Smith for info. If not I may give the fiberglass suggestion a try.
Thank you all

I think your biggest challenge is going to be color and texture matching. This is probably why the repair kits are $150+. I've done lot of repairs with JB Weld on plastic, glass, metal and ceramics and all have help up, but JB Weld is black. It would probably stop further cracking, but it won't look too good. Good luck!

I think your biggest challenge is going to be color and texture matching. This is probably why the repair kits are $150+. I've done lot of repairs with JB Weld on plastic, glass, metal and ceramics and all have help up, but JB Weld is black. It would probably stop further cracking, but it won't look too good. Good luck!
I read about JB, at this point I don't care the color if it stops the crack from expanding. I know there are many varieties of JB Weld, any recommended in particular?

can you physically remove the stairs and transport it in a pickup truck or on a trailer? If so take some pics of it and head down to a few local body shops and see if they let their guys do sidework or will take the work. it wouldnt be much work for a bodyman to glass it and then coat it. its a few hour job for a pro. even a marina that does glass work would be able to make it new again

can you physically remove the stairs and transport it in a pickup truck or on a trailer? If so take some pics of it and head down to a few local body shops and see if they let their guys do sidework or will take the work. it wouldnt be much work for a bodyman to glass it and then coat it. its a few hour job for a pro. even a marina that does glass work would be able to make it new again
Yes another good idea. I'll give it a shot taking it apart. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.