Acid Wash

ElGood

May 11, 2011
Mesquite, Tx
20,000 gallon in ground pool, was re-plastered in 2014, now I have scale buildup on the plaster, the buildup feels like 80 grit sandpaper, probably started about a year after it was re-plastered, I've treated it during the colder months with Scaltec with little success. Where can I find the process of acid wash, drain and no drain options to remove scale, and ow long would it normally take for 1 person to accomplish the task if I have to drain the pool?

Last edited:
How has your chemistry been over the last 5 years? While scale can feel like 80 grit sandpaper, so can plaster erosion from too agressive water - the calcium layer is dissolved away leaving exposed sand (80 grit, I think ;) ). If you are absolutely positive your problem is scale, then yes, you can acid wash the pool yourself. Google DIY pool acid wash. Here's an example:

Thank you sktn77a, Thank you for the reply, this could be from abnormally frequent torrential rains over the last 3 to 4 years and letting the PH get away from me, I've tried Scaletek without any success, I can scrape it off but I'm not committed enough to do the whole pool. It is scale, running in streaks, my last plaster lasted over 20 years and eventually had to be re-plastered for the very reason you mentioned; plaster erosion, so I have that to compare to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.