Acid Wash, Re-Plaster or something else?

The 'cracks' in your plaster on the stairs is about how mine looks and as I have mentioned, we are about due for a re-plaster job also. We consulted with a couple builders about the condition of our plaster and what to look for, we were told to watch for peeling and flaking. Those 'cracks' are normal for old plaster from what I've been told, but you should start planning on a re-plaster sooner than later. We were also told to not drain our pool, they said if our plaster is allowed to dry out then wet again, it would expand and contract and we'd start to get that peeling and flaking...but I live in the desert, so we don't close our pools or have hard freezes.

The quotes for an acid wash and re-plaster are similar to mine, plaster varies a lot based on size, material, location etc. We did a DIY acid wash after researching the process online and watching a number of YouTube videos. We were also able to drain the pool to do the acid wash without concern of it lifting due to a very low water table here in the dry desert, but that concern varies by your location.
Yes, it is normal for the muriatic acid to bubble. We used a 50/50 mix. We used a plant watering can to pour the acid on the walls while standing in the pool in rubber boots, then we scrubbed with a brush and rinsed, we neutralized the acid pool on the floor with soda ash. Acid was on the plaster for about a 30 seconds to a minute. We also had gloves, safety glasses, masks rated for chemicals, etc. It is a job for 2-3 people. Watch some YouTube videos, that will be helpful to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.