Acid wash or slam?

May 9, 2012
We have had our pool for 23 years and use it everyday, weather permitting. This year I sprayed a petroleum based product, spray .... ....., on the pool enclosure. In Florida we call them bird cages. I did a lousy job and way to much product got into the pool. The result was cloudy water, especially when the temp. got up to 90*. I kept cleaning and changing filters and eventually got most of the product out of the water. What was left though was residue on the pebble tec especially near the water line. Some of it will come off with hard scrubbing but I have an 8800 gal pool and short arms. The bottom of the pool where the pool cleaner runs is not to bad, although there is some staining. It's not terrible but I would like to have it sparkle again.

In Florida high CH is an issue you learn to live with. Presently by CH reading is 900 with fill water reading 175 so I wouldn't mind draining to start over. I've though about having the pool drained and acid washed but I'm looking for a less dangerous solution. I know slamming is used to treat algae infected pools but would it work here? I've also though about adding acid then brushing but don't want to damage my pool heater. Thanks for your help.

I have a SWG treated pool with solar and gas heating. I test often and keep the water looking good all the time.
FC: 5
PH: 7.2 I need to keep the ph low to manage the high CH
TA: 100
CH: 900
CYA: 50
Salt: 3400
CSI: .07
Fill H2O CH: 175
Temp: 92

Can we get more details on exactly what product you sprayed your cage with? You have pictures of the product labels?

Post pictures of the stains.

Put a Trichlor tablet on a stain for a few minutes and see if it makes a difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.