Jun 25, 2020
Folsom, Ca
Hi all,

We recently had our pool refinished. We went from standard plaster to a pebble finish. And it has been the remodel from Hades.

The current problem is that the pool finish is rough, very discolored and getting worse. I suspect it wasn't properly acid washed in the beginning...? What the contractor wants to do now is shut down my pool equipment, dump a high level of acid in the water and let it sit for a week or so to eat the surface layer. After which, they would come back and neutralize the acid and restart the equipment. Then we would be required to maintain higher, but supposedly safe, level of acid to prevent it from turning white again. We've monitored our water chems with the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit daily and also had it checked by our local pool store every few days to be safe during the startup process. Everything has been good. And yes, they did try to blame the water chems initially.

Has anyone experienced a situation like this before, or have any thoughts or recommendations? I have concerns about this method, the safety of the pool water, the damage it will do to the pool surface in terms of its longevity, my equipment, etc. I've had so many problems with this company I've lost all confidence in them.

IMG_4179[1].JPG

Reactions: mrsfluff
Have you called the manufacturer? Most companies that offer pebble to the industry also back it with a warranty assuming it was installed by an authorized plaster company. Talk to them directly and see what they state. You need to ensure you have this done properly and do not void any warranty you may have.

Last edited:
No real problem with the lower ph other than it will rot out your equipment faster but if you want a smooth finish it must be polished with a diamond polisher.
The tool you want or need to get a perfect finish is a water driven by a 4300PSI pressure washer with a special grinder/polisher head and diamond abrasives.

Here is a video link to the product being used and it can be purchased from the developer in FL.

Video Example of pool polishing

Bruce is the guy who invented this technology that was then copied by others.

Pool Polisher Info Contact

Some people like the rough pebble finish but not me. This technique is also used on other finishes including hydro and rough damaged plaster.

I had the same issue and played the " lets try this " game for 9 months and finally the Plaster guy said the manufacturer said I need to do an acid wash.
It was a hassle drain re balancing etc but it helped a lot

I had the same issue and played the " lets try this " game for 9 months and finally the Plaster guy said the manufacturer said I need to do an acid wash.
It was a hassle drain re balancing etc but it helped a lot

During your 9 month trial and error period, did they try dumping high levels of acid in the water? I can't help but think an actual acid wash and/or polishing is what's needed. So why not skip the stuff in the middle. Seams to me a big waste of time and money.

Have you called the manufacturer? Most companies that offer pebble to the industry also back it with a warranty assuming it was installed by an authorized plaster company. Talk to them directly and see what they state. You need to ensure you have this done properly and do not void any warranty you may have.

The company that did the work also makes their own version of pebble. Now I'm thinking going with their brand may have been a mistake.

No real problem with the lower ph other than it will rot out your equipment faster but if you want a smooth finish it must be polished with a diamond polisher.
The tool you want or need to get a perfect finish is a water driven by a 4300PSI pressure washer with a special grinder/polisher head and diamond abrasives.

Here is a video link to the product being used and it can be purchased from the developer in FL.

Video Example of pool polishing

Bruce is the guy who invented this technology that was then copied by others.

Pool Polisher Info Contact

Some people like the rough pebble finish but not me. This technique is also used on other finishes including hydro and rough damaged plaster.

Great information, thank you. I do think that polishing is in order. We were told that the pebble would be smooth and it's not.

Hi all,

We recently had our pool refinished. We went from standard plaster to a pebble finish. And it has been the remodel from Hades.

The current problem is that the pool finish is rough, very discolored and getting worse. I suspect it wasn't properly acid washed in the beginning...? What the contractor wants to do now is shut down my pool equipment, dump a high level of acid in the water and let it sit for a week or so to eat the surface layer. After which, they would come back and neutralize the acid and restart the equipment. Then we would be required to maintain higher, but supposedly safe, level of acid to prevent it from turning white again. We've monitored our water chems with the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ Pro 7 Digital Pool Water Test Kit daily and also had it checked by our local pool store every few days to be safe during the startup process. Everything has been good. And yes, they did try to blame the water chems initially.

Has anyone experienced a situation like this before, or have any thoughts or recommendations? I have concerns about this method, the safety of the pool water, the damage it will do to the pool surface in terms of its longevity, my equipment, etc. I've had so many problems with this company I've lost all confidence in them.

View attachment 157858
Looks like my plaster. Ruined by an unnecessary acid wash. 6 years and getting worse every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.