acid handling tips

Jonsstihl

Sep 2, 2021
Quebec, canada
got a pool last august and getting a spa in april. Just wondering if anyone has any beginner tips on handling acid. Bought some muriatic acid for the pool since my swg system seems to raise the PH alot. went through two gallons of acid since early august last summer.

it wasn't really a problem outside in the summer but that stuff is nasty. I'm more worried about handling that stuff in the winter time with my spa. I can't imagine what would happen opening the bottle in the garage when I have to dose the spa in the middle of winter.

Don't store MA in the garage. It should be stored - and opened - outdoors. Be sure to store away from metal and any other chemicals - especially chlorine.

Many of us store ours in a secure outside location, in a small trash can, deck box or other enclosed and vented location.

Thanks for the tips. I did read that article last summer but had time to forget it over the winter. Did I mention our winters are long.

My main concern was with adding acid to the spa but sounds like I could use dry acid since the quantities are much lower. With my salt cell in the pool. I had to add at least a cup of acid every week even with borates in the water

Thanks for the tips. I did read that article last summer but had time to forget it over the winter. Did I mention our winters are long.

My main concern was with adding acid to the spa but sounds like I could use dry acid since the quantities are much lower. With my salt cell in the pool. I had to add at least a cup of acid every week even with borates in the water

Dry acid may be harmful to your spa, or more specifically your heater. It may plate out sulfates onto it - maybe. I still have not seen conclusive evidence one way or the other. Just a lot of conjecture. For the same reason it is not good for salt cells either. I have a bucket and a half of dry acid laying around ever since I switched to salt.

Anyway, I use MA in my spa, just fine. MA is not the bugbear that many people make it out to be. It needs to be used with caution, but so should other pool chemicals. Keep it outside, keep it in a ventilated spot, don't splash it around all willy-nilly, "do like you aught-ta, acid to wa-ta" (yeah the rhyme is forced, but now you will remember it,), don't inhale it, don't get it in your eyes, if it gets on your skin rinse it off, etc.

Last edited:
Keep it outside, keep it in a ventilated spot, don't splash it around all willy-nilly,
When discussing acid, we must be formal. It's William-Nilliam.

Jon, use half strength for the spa and it will take long enough to use the gallon that you won't care you had to buy 2 of them.

You will care for the pool as it would get pricey, so just use reasonable precaution as said above. You can't be all William Nilliam with a boiling pot of water either, but you still figured out how-to make spaghetti in a way that worked for you. You know ? :)

Reactions: Saturn94
You can't be all William Nilliam with a boiling pot of water either, but you still figured out how-to make spaghetti in a way that worked for you. You know ? :)

I once smacked my wife between the eyes with a 400 degree F sheet pan straight from the oven - maybe I can't be trusted with boiling water.

Here is your incentive to stay on top of the tub balancing. Lowering the PH from 8.2 to 7.6 with a TA of 80 in 450 gallons is 1 oz of 15% MA. 128 doses later, you'll lol as you buy another weak $13 jug.

Bigger adjustments will need more MA.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.