Absorbic acid treatment

bpdunlv

Apr 4, 2017
Las Vegas
So I was pretty convinced that I had iron stains. They were yellowish and I did the vitamin c test and they came right off. I just lowered my ph to around 7.2. The fc levels were around 2. I know they Should be 0 but because of my Salt cell it kept making it. I poured in some 100% absorbic acid that I bought from amazon. I poured it in one area on a step and it turned black. It seemed to lift off the staining but now I have darker stains. They did slightly lighten to a purplish color after a few min but it’s been 30+ min and they are still there. I went on the other side of the pool and rubbed some of the vitamin c tablets I had and it lifted the stain over there. Should I just finish the whole pool one tablet at a time? Now what do I do with these blackish stains?

Thank you for reading. Let me know if this has happened to anyone.

Attachments

• 6DE29B76-CA7C-4088-AACD-29767C916189.jpeg
    6DE29B76-CA7C-4088-AACD-29767C916189.jpeg
    440.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 4AC3DC85-F319-4D0A-AEEB-B6694B592D3F.jpeg
    4AC3DC85-F319-4D0A-AEEB-B6694B592D3F.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 28
You need to turn off your SWG. The CL is messing with AA treatment.

Are you using a Sequestrant?

From Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

The ascorbic acid will bring your ph down, and sometimes the alkalinity. After 24 hours you can start to rebalance the water. Bring up your ph and alkalinity, - use arm and hammer washing soda first, it will raise both ph and alk. Make sure you test in between, because you don't want your ph to go any higher than 7.2. If your alkalinity is in range, and you still need to raise your ph, use Borax to take it up to no higher than 7.2. You can start to bring up your chlorine. You want to do this slowly. It will take a lot of chlorine - I prefer to use bleach only at this time, and try to take it up to your minimum chlorine for your cya according to the Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool. As you slowly raise the chlorine, watch for stains starting to form. If you see stains, make sure the ph is no higher than 7.2, and add more sequestering agent. You should see the stain lift in a couple of hours. Do not shock! Do not shock for at least 2 weeks! Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two - it won't be hard because the ascorbic acid and sequestering agent will help it stay low. Once your chlorine starts to hold, it means that you have used up the ascorbic acid in the water and it will be easy to rebalance the pool back to your regular parameters.

Here are two important notes: High ph along with high chlorine will precipitate any metals that are not sequestered out of the water and on to the surface of the pool again. If this happens take the ph back down to 7, or 7.2 and add more sequestering agent. This should lift the stain off. You can add polyquat 60 to the water before starting the stain treatment to avoid getting algae while the chlorine is low.

This thread might also be helpful - Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.