Aboveground Pool Liner with no cove

rsilva708

Jul 13, 2021
Alsip, IL
Thanks in advance for any info that may help me with this. At the end of June, I had a new Above Ground pool installed. A day after it was filled, the liner seam blew out on it. A week later the installer came out to install the replacement. Just so happens this was last minute for them, and I couldn't be there so I didn't see the install. Less than a day later an 8 inches of water, the seam blew out again. A few days later the installer comes out to put in the 3rd liner. I was home this day and noticed when they took the old liner out, there was no sand cove, just the sand base. Now I used to work in the pool industry a long time ago, and have owned a pool for 3o years and everything I know says there has to be a cove, either sand or the preformed ones, but there has to be one. The line manufacture instructions say there has to be one, their warranty says there has to be one, but when I questioned the installer, I was told it's not needed and they know what they are doing. I contacted the store I purchased the pool from and they said it is not an issue, it's not needed. Well, I am about 2 feet into the 3rd liner fill, and I think I have another leak. One side of the pool is very wet and if I push the water away, it pools back up in a few minutes. I haven't found the hole yet, but it is too much water on the outside. Has something changed in pool liners that a cove is no longer needed? This is a 33' pool with a fitted J-Hook liner. I would think you would have a little more forgiveness with an overlap liner, but with a fitted liner, it really has to stretch into that 90-degree angle between the wall and the floor.

Any advice is much apprecieated.

• Wow
Reactions: Pv2
Thanks in advance for any info that may help me with this. At the end of June, I had a new Above Ground pool installed. A day after it was filled, the liner seam blew out on it. A week later the installer came out to install the replacement. Just so happens this was last minute for them, and I couldn't be there so I didn't see the install. Less than a day later an 8 inches of water, the seam blew out again. A few days later the installer comes out to put in the 3rd liner. I was home this day and noticed when they took the old liner out, there was no sand cove, just the sand base. Now I used to work in the pool industry a long time ago, and have owned a pool for 3o years and everything I know says there has to be a cove, either sand or the preformed ones, but there has to be one. The line manufacture instructions say there has to be one, their warranty says there has to be one, but when I questioned the installer, I was told it's not needed and they know what they are doing. I contacted the store I purchased the pool from and they said it is not an issue, it's not needed. Well, I am about 2 feet into the 3rd liner fill, and I think I have another leak. One side of the pool is very wet and if I push the water away, it pools back up in a few minutes. I haven't found the hole yet, but it is too much water on the outside. Has something changed in pool liners that a cove is no longer needed? This is a 33' pool with a fitted J-Hook liner. I would think you would have a little more forgiveness with an overlap liner, but with a fitted liner, it really has to stretch into that 90-degree angle between the wall and the floor.

Any advice is much apprecieated.

So,

The company that engineered it and manufactured said there has to be one.

That's the end of the discussion, really.

That's how I feel as well, but the store blew it off as "This is how our installers do it and it isn't a problem." I am so over this pool and I haven't even been in it yet. I'm over $10k invested in it, the kids are disappointed as summer dwindles away. I have contacted the liner manufacture to get their input but haven't heard back from them yet.

Definitely need a cove! & they would be paying the water bill too! You’d think after paying for 2 replacement liners & installs they’d like it to work out & put it to rest. Sounds like a bad business model, & if it happened to you it has probably happened to others also. I would insist they put a cove now, while they are still in business.

Reactions: Chad1979
Well, I confirmed it this morning. I found where the 3rd liner is leaking. It is right where a bottom seam going across the bottom meets the wall seam. I lost 1 inch of water in 12.5 hours. Having a really hard time keeping my cool.

buy the foam cove and insist they put it in this time. this is crazy they are saying this, how many pools have they installed without cove? how many times do they have to redo them?
The whole thing is crazy and it's not like I bought the pool from a no-name place. They have been in the area as long as I have been in this area. They have been my pool store for over 20 years. I used to work there in the 90's. I don't know if they get away with it on smaller pools and the issue is coming up because the pool is so large, but pressure on the liner changes with depth, not diameter so who knows. Either way, they are not installing it correctly. Not to mention I'm out around 60K gallons of water so far with this ordeal.

• Angry
Reactions: Mdragger88
Id make them pay for the water since they are the ones NOT installing the liner per the liner manufacturer's specifications. Theyd also be eating the cost for the preformed coving as well. How lazy are their installers? Let alone the massive amounts of money they have sunk into liners this year due to limited availability of most goods including pool items.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.