Above ground w/ SWG and small tear in liner - rusty timebomb.

LuciGo

Aug 24, 2014
Chester, VA
We have a 4 year old Outback genesis that was sold advertised as being a saltwater ready pool. When we opened it this year we noticed the water level was lower than it should be, and found a 3/4 inch tear about an inch below the skimmer. Water has obviously been pooling between the liner and the wall. There is a nasty area of rust around the bottom of the pool wall.

We have pretty much realized this is a ticking time bomb and we are looking at long term options.
1. Replace the pool when it rusts through.
2. Sell the house before it rusts through! LOL

Are there any truly safe above ground pools for salt? We love the chemistry of salt water and don't regret using it. Salt pool owners, what would you do?

All pools have salt in them. All forms of chlorine, acid, tap water and people add salt to the pool. Water and air is what makes metal rust, with or without salt present. I think the idea that salt is the problem in pools is really a myth propagated by people trying to get out of warranty claims on pools.

All pools have salt in them. All forms of chlorine, acid, tap water and people add salt to the pool. Water and air is what makes metal rust, with or without salt present. I think the idea that salt is the problem in pools is really a myth propagated by people trying to get out of warranty claims on pools.

Do you think there is anything I can do to prolong the lifespan of this pool? Will spraying the rust with Rustoleum help at all?

Thank you. I'm sure it will still rust from the inside, but if I can gain a year or two I will be happy. Not sure what we will do next, but at least the landscaping, deck, pump, etc are all fine and we only have to buy a new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.