Above Ground Pool Solar Panels: When to Run

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
Hi all,

We have an intex prism 16x16 pool and have decided to add some polar panels this year. This is our second year with the pool and things went very well last year - we upgraded the pump size and upgraded to SWG at the time of purchase thanks to all the advice on this forum.

I purchased a set of 6 used dome-style panels, including connectors, etc, for a couple hundred dollars (something like the link below).

I think I have appropriately low expectations and am going in to this project willing to call it a total loss if it doesn't work at all. If my set up is able to raise the temp of the pool even a few degrees, I will consider it a success - lol.

We also use a solar cover at night, every night.

That all said, I am looking for some guidance as to when it makes sense to run water through the panels. I think the obvious is when the panels are in the sun, but wasn't sure about whether to run them on days that are cloudy, etc. Also, does the air temperature come into play or is it really about sun exposure? Any other advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Mostly about sun exposure. If you are manually going to turn them on and off, then I would suggest not running on cloudy days. You can always feel the panels. If they are warm or hot to the touch, then there is heat available to be added to your pool.

They are intended to work in direct sunlight. It doesn't take much cloud cover for them to become ineffective. Running them in the shade or at night can actually cool down you pool! If they are warmer than your pool they will be adding heat. For manual operation I'd just turn them on when they are in sun and off otherwise.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.