Above Ground Pool Rust

xbbgunx

Apr 24, 2019
Manitoba
New home owner with a above ground pool. Just moved in last September and winterized the pool after moving in. Looking at it after the snow melted and noticed this rust patch at the bottom of the pool wall. How much of a problem is this and how do I fix this?

Attachments

• POOL RUST.jpg
    POOL RUST.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 38
XB,

That doesn't look good. I hope there's a repair technique but I don't know anything about AG pool frames. But we have plenty of people that know everything about them. I'll call a few for you @kimkats @Texas Splash

I hope this helps!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
XB, I suspect you'll be hard-pressed to find a good resolution in that area. If it were further up the wall, you might squeeze more time out of the pool by cutting-out the rusted area and applying a new piece of sheet metal from the inside as long as it can still support the opening, then also apply an anti-rust inhibitive spray. But at the bottom seam it would be very difficult. You can try to manipulate a metal patch, but I suspect the support ring is also corroded, and at some point the structral integrity comes into play. If it were me, I'd begin preparing for a replacement, however I'm also going to ping one of our AGP expters @zea3 who has quite a bit of AGP experience herself. I wish you luck. And welcome to TFP! :wave:

XB, I suspect you'll be hard-pressed to find a good resolution in that area. If it were further up the wall, you might squeeze more time out of the pool by cutting-out the rusted area and applying a new piece of sheet metal from the inside as long as it can still support the opening, then also apply an anti-rust inhibitive spray. But at the bottom seam it would be very difficult. You can try to manipulate a metal patch, but I suspect the support ring is also corroded, and at some point the structral integrity comes into play. If it were me, I'd begin preparing for a replacement, however I'm also going to ping one of our AGP expters @zea3 who has quite a bit of AGP experience herself. I wish you luck. And welcome to TFP! :wave:

Darn, Havnt even got to dip my toes in the water yet since i bought the house. In order to replace it would I have to buy just the wall or a new liner or a whole pool all together? Got a wedding to pay for :(

That should help hold the wall. The problem i forsee is that the rust has gone right through so eventually the liner should spring a leak at that spot, unless it already has & thats what caused the rust. I'm German which is also the same as calling myself cheap so if I was in your boots I would try the patch. :cheers:

You need a good look at the inside pool wall. Odds are the inside has quite a bit more rust. If it is just surface rust inside the wall you can sand it down and treat it with rust inhibitor/stabilizer. You will need to drain the pool and pull back the liner to see if the wall is worth saving or not. If there are no other rusted out areas I would get a piece of sheet metal slightly wider than the rusted area, cut that chunk out, and rivet the sheet metal in its place. Here is a guide to repairing a rusted wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.