Above Ground Pool Location Question

I feel like you're ignoring the importance of leveling your pool. Here, have a video. Turn the sound off because red neck hootin' and hollerin' gets old after a minute.

Note the force with which these pools fail. Your pool is much bigger than most of these pools, and will cause property damage as well as personal injury if it fails with someone in it. You don't want your petite wife slammed into the side of the house, do you?

Please, make an attempt at leveling your pool.

Last edited:
I understand there's a lot of water in the pool and there's a possibility of getting hurt somewhat if the pool were to bust while in it. But it don't make sense that being an half inch to an inch off level would cause it to burst wide open, I suppose it could burst open if it was completely level also.

I think I'm gonna just put it up and see how unlevel it is. If I filled it to about 6 inches could I not tell by measuring that just how level the pool was.

Yes you could. I'm not saying it has to be 100% level -- TFP likes to see no more than 1/2 inch out of level, industry says 1 to 2 inches. Some pool installers say 4 inches is okay. I don't think I'd go that far, but I think up to 1 1/2 inches is reasonable.

You'll be able to tell how unlevel it is when you get about an inch of water in the bottom. Make sure to get in and spread out any wrinkles while you're filling that 1" because it's next to impossible to smooth them out with any more water inside.

I'll probably start setting it up today and checking the level on it. If it's not over an inch off level I guess I'll go on and fill with water. I went on and ordered the TF100 test kit and speedstir last night, haven't received a delivery date so far. I bought 1 3inch chlorinating tablet and 1lb bag of super shock just to have on hand last night.

Just talked to my yard guy, he has a laser level and should be by in about an hour so I should be able to get an accurate level measurement of area.

Once I fill the pool what do I need to add to water if test kit hasn't arrived, the tablet, shock treatment? What basic accessories do I need as I have nothing.

Last edited:
You need to add 5 ppm chlorine to your pool ASAP. Use PoolMath to figure out how much that is and it's easier to use liquid chlorine than pucks. Keep adding that daily until your test kit gets here.

Go ahead and add enough CYA to bring you up to 20 ppm. Again, PoolMath will tell you how much to add. Weigh out The proper amount,put it in a sock or a nylon stocking, and hang it in front of the return so it's in the flow of returning water. Squeeze the sock every now and again to get the dissolved CYA out into the pool.

Equipment you will need
  • Pool pole
  • Pool brush
  • Vacuum head
  • Vacuum hose
  • Thermometer
  • Skim net attachment
  • Leaf net attachment
Equipment you may want to consider later
  • Sand filter
  • Through wall skimmer
  • Sturdier ladder/steps in and out of pool
  • Robot or suction side pool cleaner
  • Hard plumbing,
  • Deck around pool
Any other questions, just ask away!

Reactions: frogabog

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We had an 18' intex ultra frame 3" out of level stand for 5 years on concrete, and we took it down due to rust - it did not collapse. We have replaced it with an xtr, which is also 3" out of level, and while I have some misgivings, I also know that IF it were to collapse... we will then be moving on to a "permanent" above ground pool. So it will be a win (as long as no one gets hurt.) (yes there is an element of husband/wife disagreement going on here... with the wife pressing the safety angle but unable to argue with the fact that the old pool did stand for 5 years)
I have a theory that being unlevel on concrete may not be as big a deal as on grass, since any additional shifting is minimized... the feet of the legs stay nice and solid and maybe that is the difference?
That said - I had a grand plan in my head to build a frame, lay a tarp, and fill it with concrete so we could have a level pool in this spot but still have the option to remove it in the future, and it would have been 400-500 dollars to pull this off. Compared to the price of a "real" above ground pool, honestly, not that bad. In my ideal dream world, my pool would be completely level, and if you can do anything to make that happen right now, I would do so.

The grass side may sink a little with the weight of the water in it. 1" is within tolerances. Let the fun times begin!!

Don't forget to add some bleach once you're about half full. Swirl it around to mix in with your brush. Use half your pool volume in Pool Math and calculate for ~4ppm FC at that half filled volume. Once you're full you're going to want to add CYA to get to 20ppm via the sock method (unless you have liquid CYA), and then enough bleach to reach 5ppm FC. Do you have your test kit?

Call her before she gets pool stored by Walmart!

She should buy regular bleach (no scent, no additives, no nothing) or if she can find the Walmart 10% liquid chlorine that's easier. Tell her to look for "Stabilizer" which is CYA. The last things you may need would be a bag of baking soda and possibly some 20 Mule Team, and probably muriatic acid, but you won't know that till you get your kit so maybe just hold off on the last three.

For now, really just the bleach/chlorine and stabilizer.

Nothing else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.