Above ground pool liner keeps falling in - every 1-2 years for last 6 years!

Jun 19, 2017
Andrew, IA
Hello All, pretty much sick of replacing pool liners. I've installed 3 or 4 now in just 5-6 years. Just looking for ideas.
This past year, I used liner lock to hold the liner up, still fell in. Pool level is currently 29" deep. Was probably more like 34" deep most of the winter. Bottom of the skimmer is around 40", so the level is like 10-12" below the bottom of the skimmer. Is this tool low? Low enough to be the sole reason the liner would fall in?

So my "list" of potential reasons for this liner falling in are:
- water level too low
- buying the wrong type of liner. I've been buying a universal liner ("unibead" - something like this Swimline Unibead 18' Round Boulder Swirl 52 in. Depth Above Ground Pool Liner, 20 Mil | In The Swim). The pool is a Johnny Weissenmueller type, with a J-track that the liner is pushed into. Should I go to a different type of liner bead? I've also been thinking about a fold over type liner that clips over the top of the pool.
- could it fall in if the cove (at the bottom base of the pool walls) is not "proper?" I do have the little angled pieces installed to create the cove, but can't say for sure if they are "proper." Would the liner fall in without a "good" cove?

I'm thinking of having the local pool place do it this year. Will cost twice as much but hopefully last.

Any input welcomed!

I'm pretty sure I have read that the Johnny W liners are not compatabile with normal liners.

YOUR ESTHER WILLIAMS OR JOHNNY WEISSMULLER POOL IS NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW THOSE POOLS REQUIRE A SPECIAL BEADING ON THE LINER; REGULAR LINER BEAD WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR POOL.

I've never deep dived into it, so not sure it's all the Jonny pools, but I remember reading it before.

I just repaired my Johnny W Safari 10 x 30 pool. I installed an overlap liner. It had the coping for a beaded liner ,but in I don't trust the beaded type in the winter. I've had the pool for 30 years and in that time have replaced two walls and two liners (3rd liner now installed). Last liner lasted 15 years! The wall are not available anymore so I did a patch job hoping to get a few more years life of the pool. Probably would have cost 6-7k for a repair if I could even get someone to do it.

Attachments

• pool repair.jpg
    pool repair.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 13
  • pool repair2.jpg
    pool repair2.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 13
  • pool repair4.jpg
    pool repair4.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm pretty sure I have read that the Johnny W liners are not compatabile with normal liners.

YOUR ESTHER WILLIAMS OR JOHNNY WEISSMULLER POOL IS NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION. YOU MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW THOSE POOLS REQUIRE A SPECIAL BEADING ON THE LINER; REGULAR LINER BEAD WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR POOL.

I've never deep dived into it, so not sure it's all the Jonny pools, but I remember reading it before.

Esther Williams and Johnny Weissmuller Pool Replacement Parts​

If you have invested in and Esther Williams Pool or a Johnny Weissmuller Pool, you have made a great choice. Over time things can happen to your pool that can need Esther Williams and Johnny Weissmuller pool replacement parts or a new Liner. Finding a replacement liner for the Esther Williams Pool or a Johnny Weissmuller Pool can be quite confusing. Don’t be fooled buy online
Esther Williams Bead

discount sites saying a standard beaded liner will fit your pool. And I Quote “Our beaded liners are made to fit Esther Williams, Johnny Weissmuller and most above-ground pools needing a beaded liner”. That is simply not true, an Esther Williams Bead is a very specific bead needed for a perfect fit. This is a larger, thicker beads that will not fit into standard bead receiver tracks, the opposite is also true trying to use an alternative “standard or universal bead” will be to small and cause you liner to slip out of track.

Teddy Bear Pools & Spas (www.teddybearpools.com) is the National Parts distributor of Esther Williams Parts and Johnny Weissmuller Replacement Parts and can offer you “in most cases” an in-stock high grade non-embossed vinyl liner that will be a perfect fit in your Esther Williams Pool or Johnny Weissmuller Pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.