Above Ground Pool in Small Area

jgsaw

Jul 5, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Hi all, we have an end unit townhome and we would like to put a small above ground pool in. The area available is approx. 15ft. x 12ft. we could relocated our shed to give us 15ft. x 15ft. Can you add a good heater to something like this and get 6 months a year of use and leave it up all year? Bestway 56419 Steel Pro MAX Above Ground Swimming Pool, with Filter Pump 12' x 39.5", White : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Having an easy or automatic style cover is important because we have a lot of foliage around our yard.

What are my best options please?

Thanks, Jay

There are lots of good pool heaters but they will be way more expensive than your pool cost - you may want to look into solar options.
Most of those pools come with a cover (all of mine have) - being so small it should be pretty easy to put on. Amazon also sells solar covers to prevent heat loss.

Reactions: jgsaw
Thanks, my logic is I rather spend some extra money on bells and whistles because it will be a Darn-ton less than anything in-ground. Maybe I can get a used heater for a few hundred dollars? Also looking for professional installation in the Greater Toronto Area in case anyone here knows of a company.

Hi all, we have an end unit townhome and we would like to put a small above ground pool in. The area available is approx. 15ft. x 12ft. we could relocated our shed to give us 15ft. x 15ft. Can you add a good heater to something like this and get 6 months a year of use and leave it up all year? Bestway 56419 Steel Pro MAX Above Ground Swimming Pool, with Filter Pump 12' x 39.5", White : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Having an easy or automatic style cover is important because we have a lot of foliage around our yard.

What are my best options please?

Thanks, Jay
is that 15 x 15 allowing you to walk around the pool and do stuff or is that the actual dimension of the space? because there is a 10 footer for less than half the price Swimming Pool - Hydro-Force Steel Frame Pool Set, 10-ft x 30-in : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks, my logic is I rather spend some extra money on bells and whistles because it will be a Darn-ton less than anything in-ground. Maybe I can get a used heater for a few hundred dollars? Also looking for professional installation in the Greater Toronto Area in case anyone here knows of a company.
Not likely to get a used one for a few hundred. I've been looking. You'll also need to run natural gas and electrical out to the heater and if you haven't already, the pump. You're going to be spending more money in just getting the power/gas line to the pool than you spent on the pool. What are you looking for install? Just the heater, the pool? You can ping up Gib-san in Etobicoke, on Kipling north of Queensway or if you're in Mississauga, past Dundas and Cawthra there's the rec warehouse on Hensall Circle. Outside of that, you'll probably be looking for an electrician/gas fitter.

If you do opt for a NG heater.. with that size pool a 100K BTU furnace will suffice. As others have mentioned used pool equipment over the last year has gone sky-high in price as well.

I'd expect to pay $1000+ (US) for a heater without installation. Additionally, you're going to want to be sure, that pump will deliver the necessary flow to satisfy the flow switch on the heater.
I'm unaware of an automatic pool cover for that type pool. Most get a solar cover (you can opt for a reel but, those usually need to be mounted to top rails, decking, or posts)

Additionally, with your available space... you need to have adequate space between your equipment and the pool itself (usually >5 ft). You do not want electrical equipment (pump, heater) extremely close to water for obvious reasons.

Best of luck in your search.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.