May 10, 2021
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I’ve read some articles but haven’t yet found the answers I’m looking for. I *think Leslie’s is my 1st problem. I finally bought a non Leslie’s test kit. It’s coming soon. I can’t keep the chlorine levels up for anything. I have 3 tabs of in the swim 3 inch tablets with stabilizer. My FC is below 1. I did buy a gallon of chlorinating liquid from Home Depot that will help bring it up for a day or so. Test strip said my alkalinity was low so I put Leslie’s Alkalinity up in but it seemed to just sit on the bottom and eventually turn green. My filter is a cartridge and I’ve been cleaning it every 3 days to keep the pump at a good pressure. I feel like I’m doing something totally wrong. Why aren’t the 3 tabs keeping it chlorinated? I’m in Texas and it’s HOT!! Water temp is 89°. I did read something about a light causing issues and I do have a pool light that is full of yuk looking water. Do I need to remove that? Is there a basic regimen I should be doing? What products are reputable. Please help! Or point me in the right direction. Thank you!!!!

Reactions: mommahocker
Hi! Welcome to TFP!
Do you mind giving some stats on your pool? size and gallon? pump and filter system? Those type of things will help all these great folks help you!

Good job on getting that test kit coming, and yep, Leslie's is *not* your friend.
The gunk in your pool light is eating up what Chlorine you have, so yes, getting that cleaned out is a good place to start.

Reading through Pool School is a great place to start! Getting the basics of pool care will help you set a pool care routine that will have you swimming in perfect water in no time.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We have very different methods then what you have been hearing at Leslies.

Start by reading these links...

You need to get your own test kit. The Taylor K-2006C or TF100 Test Kits

Then follow our SLAM Process

Yes, you need to clean the gunk from your light, ladders, and anyplace else algae may be hiding.

The TFP method is based upon the relationship between FC and CYA, which most pools stores ignore. If you've been using tabs, it's likely they have raised your CYA to such a high level that no amount of chlorine will effectively sanitize your pool. The chlorine is all bound to the CYA and not available to do its job. This is what pool stores refer to as "chlorine lock". The only real way to lower CYA is to do a partial drain and refill.

Chlorine is a gas, therefore all solid forms of chlorine such as tabs must be bound to a stabilizer like CYA. The chlorine burns off as it is used but the CYA remains and just accumulates more and more. This was why we rely upon liquid chlorine, such as plain old laundry bleach, to chlorinate our pools. Liquid chlorine adds no CYA.

In order to proceed, you will need a test kit with as FAS-DPD test that can measure CYA and free chlorine (FC) above 10 ppm. There are only two available, the TF-100 and the Taylor K-2006. If you want to use our method you need to order one of these ASAP.

Until you have one of these test kits, there's not a lot we can do. We need to know what your current CYA level is in order to proceed. And this is one test that pool stores are the worst at testing, so we do not trust their results.

Remove any tabs you may have in your pool and don't use them anymore. They will only raise your CYA even further. Until your test kit arrives, add enough liquid chlorine to raise your FC level by 5 ppm per day. And spend some time reading Pool School to better understand what we do and why we do it.

Thank to all for your words of wisdom! I read pool school and I got my test kit.
FC 4ppm
CC .5ppm
Ph below 7.0
CYA 36
TA 6

I used the pool math app. Going to get some liquid chlorine. Baking Soda and some liquid stabilizer to get my water in a better place. 🤞🏼

Reactions: jeffchap
And how did you get a CYA of 36 when the lines are in tens?

Get a good TA measurement before adjusting your pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your ta is fine
You can try aeration to raise ph without affecting ta (point jets up to disturb the water)
98A0F6A6-D472-4B8D-8B40-2E99C6D6FFA8.jpeg
If you wish to use one of these chems to increase ph aim for 7.2 from 7 using PoolMath until u get a readable ph in the 7’s.
For cya there are no actual inbetweens - always round up ⬆️ to the next 10.
So your cya counts as 40
SLAM Process level is 16ppm FC/CYA Levels

I would wait a few days and let your pH rise naturally rather then try and adjust it and yo-you your TA.

Aeration can help your pH rise naturally.

Just be patient and maintain your FC and test your pH daily.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.