Above ground pool at weekend house...FINISHED PICS PG 2!!!!!

Re: Above ground pool at a weekend house advice...4-15 UPDAT

If you can only dose on the weekends, then you want to put enough chlorine in the pool so that your FC level when come back after the week is at least 5 ppm (from poolcalculator.com and 65 ppm cya). If you let it drop below that (at 65 ppm cya) then you risk an algae outbreak. It looks like you have a lot of shade? Then you may loose less chlorine to the sun then typical.

At 65 ppm a typical pool might lose ~30% FC per day to the sun (each pool is different...typical conditions including full sun during the day and when the pool temp gets higher).

Here is the theoretical math: [s:zii87h7u]5*1.3 *1.3 *1.3*1.3*1.3= ~19 ppm[/s:zii87h7u]Edit should be:5*1.42*1.42*1.42*1.42*1.42= 29 ppm see my following post below FC needed on Sunday night to last until the next Saturday morning. [s:zii87h7u]So 19 ppm is where I would leave your pool on Sunday night. Since you can swim up to your shock level (19 ppm FC at 65 ppm cya per poolcalcualtor.com), then even if it does not drop as much as the above calculation shows, you will still be able to swim the next Saturday since the pool should be well below that.[/s:zii87h7u] After a couple of weeks of observation, I would adjust my Sunday dose level appropriately remembering that as the water gets warmer, days get longer, and more/less organic debris gets in, the pool will likely use more chlorine.

Freedbaby said:
Up until this past weekend, I have had a black mesh leaf guard cover over it. Can this make the difference?
Yes, the tighter the weave the less sun to assist in algae growth.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Freedbaby said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
My 13500 gallon in ground pool used about 96 oz of 6% bleach each day during the summer...
UV breaks down FC and at the CYA levels recommended here you will see higher losses per day as we move from Spring to Summer.

WOW!!!!!!! each time I check my levels they are dead on and the pool is crystal clear, well until this past weekend when I blew a bunch of muddy water by accident into the pool because of some dirty pipe I used to relocate filter. Now, admittedly, the pool water is only 70 degrees and we have had more late year cold spells than normal. But 96oz a day...Sheesh. My CYA is at 65 which is about where I want it, No?

Actually the experts here typically recommend something more like 30-50 CYA for a bleach pool. 65 is a little high, but you can make it work if necessary. See here: pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

Freedbaby said:
Bama Rambler said:
At 1/2 gallon per week you're only using 9 oz per day. That's only .5 ppm FC per day, an that's not nearly enough to keep that pool sanitized and algae free. Are you keeping it covered with an opaque cover all the time?

Up until this past weekend, I have had a black mesh leaf guard cover over it. Can this make the difference?

I'm not sure - how tight was the weave? Truthfully the high UV's of summer are a ways off - and my 96oz/day is a bit higher than some needed. The brand and type of bleach can influence this since the claims are not always lived up to for concentration and older bleach loses potency and the age of the bleach on the shelves is hard to know.

I hope I am not in for a rude awakening! I better get on this dosing system ASAP!

The leaf cover is not that tight...lets put it this way, the little pollen worms that come off the trees break apart and fall to the bottom.

I am using 10% bleach from Home Depot...they seem to always be low on it which makes me think they are selling it pretty fast and its not sitting around long.

jblizzle said:
Counterpoint to UWV:
If they only are at the pool on the weekends, then running a higher CYA is going to be required to protect more of the FC. I would not take it above 80ppm, so 65ppm seems like a good place to start to me.

The pool service companies around here had my pool up to a CYA of 300+ppm before I took it over. They were trying to only come every 2 weeks ... in the summer ... in full sun AZ :shock:

Seems rational - (65, not 300!) LOL
They just need to be prepared for a lot of lugging of bleach should something break like the chlorine pump - or be prepared to change out some water to get the CYA down when/if algae breaks out.

Last year I started around 60-65 CYA and wound down to 50-55 by the end. I didn't find it too hard to manage.

All very good information, but to Linen...Thank you for that explanation! That makes LOTS of sense to me put the way you put it and I really appreciate it. That will help me out tremendously when i am putting bleach in the pool on Sunday before I leave.

Freedbaby - You have gotten excellent advice on this thread - your setup/plans can definitely work - I've run my own pool at 70 CYA in years past and have clients that I took over with extreme CYA levels and even though I can only get to their pools weekly, together we make it work. You should be okay and if by some chance a problem does develop - you know where to come for advice :wink:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Freedbaby - You have gotten excellent advice on this thread - your setup/plans can definitely work - I've run my own pool at 70 CYA in years past and have clients that I took over with extreme CYA levels and even though I can only get to their pools weekly, together we make it work. You should be okay and if by some chance a problem does develop - you know where to come for advice :wink:

I agree with you, this has been some excellent advice. Now if I can get the dosing system to work it will be FANTASTIC!

Question...I was hoping to leave the mesh screen off now that the blooms and junk has pretty much all fallen for the season. Is it a good idea to keep it on during the week to block some of the UV rays?

linen said:
Here is the theoretical math: 5*1.3 *1.3 *1.3*1.3*1.3= ~19 ppm FC needed on Sunday night to last until the next Saturday morning. So 19 ppm is where I would leave your pool on Sunday night. Since you can swim up to your shock level (19 ppm FC at 65 ppm cya per poolcalcualtor.com), then even if it does not drop as much as the above calculation shows, you will still be able to swim the next Saturday since the pool should be well below that. After a couple of weeks of observation, I would adjust my Sunday dose level appropriately remembering that as the water gets warmer, days get longer, and more/less organic debris gets in, the pool will likely use more chlorine.

Assuming the 30% loss per day is accurate: The math appears to be making an assumption that adding 30% to the target is the same as taking 30% from the starting value. The math equivalent is actually to divide the remaining FC by [edit] .70 to get the starting value:

For example: If I started with 10ppm and take 30% away I end up at 7ppm. If I then take 7ppm and multiply by 1.3 I get 9.1 not 10. If I divide by .7 I get the correct value of 10.

Some form of dosing pump, opaque cover, or other means of replenishment is going to be needed - however it doesn't have to be able to meet the full FC demand - just slow down losses.

Yep, I think UWV is right, made a mistake on my math. :oops: My 1.3 should have been 1.42 in the above equation...since 70% (100%-30%) should be 1/0.7 or 1.42. So the new math would be 5*1.42*1.42*1.42*1.42*1.42=29 ppm FC (equation is 5*1.42^5=29 ppm), which is still below mustard shock level (37 ppm FC for 65 ppm cya per poolcalculator.com), but is getting kind of high. Again this value is hypothetical since each pool chlorine usage and loss will be different.

Thanks UWV :cheers:

I think I have decided to go a different direction entirely...I ordered a Liquidator for a *REALLY* cheap price today...like ridiculously cheap.

I am pretty confident that I have spent less on the liquidator than I would have on the parts to make the doser work. I already had the doser and still plan on playing with it but I think for what I paid I cant go wrong with the liquidator and 10% bleach. I plan on plumbing it through a fitting for strength.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Coming along well!!! Can't tell you how glad I am to be out of the "setting posts" phase...

Got to the pool this weekend and the FC was 0 :rant:

Luckily the weather has been cool and overcast so the pool still looked ok. I'm anxiously awaiting the Liquidator so this isn't such a problem anymore. Taking care of it remotely only on the weekends is part of the problem...levels are too spikey instead of constant.

8669457503_3395bdf843_b_d.jpg

8670559724_192d724961_b_d.jpg

Re: Above ground pool at a weekend house advice...4-22 UPDAT

LOL... Why did I use 2/3 and not 70/100? I have no idea but I'm glad the idea came through the gibberish!

Sent via Tapatalk...

Re: Above ground pool at a weekend house advice...4-22 UPDAT

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY...deck boards!!!!!

Pool seems to be pretty stable, I haven't been able to pay too much attention to the cloudiness from the dirty pipe mishap but I do have a Pool Rover Jr coming tomorrow so hopefully I can put it in this weekend and get some stuff vacuumed up off the bottom.

Overall I am VERY pleased with the way the deck is turning out...$3000 worth of lumber, screws, bolts and nails...we'll go with "over engineered"!!! :cool:

8711435193_677bb5eb75_b_d.jpg

8712560858_e72159212a_b_d.jpg

8712564856_37f4cb007a_b_d.jpg

8712568104_4282ae3dd6_b_d.jpg

8712571570_c413341002_b_d.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.