Above ground newbie

taprackbang

Mar 31, 2020
Cerritos, CA.
I recently purchased a 16X10 above ground pool. The motor that came with it, as everyone has mentioned, not up to snuff so I have a Intex 14" Sand Filter on the way. A few questions for now:

1. I've heard I only need half as much glass media than the silica sand in the tank?
2. The current hose is 1.25" and the new pump is using 1.5" hoses. I have the adaptors, but is there a difference of running a 1.25" to 1.5" adaptor..will the pump be running harder?
3. Is it better to have a 1.5" inch outlet (sorry for my lack of proper pool terminology) at the pool?
4. The pump that is coming may be a tad more powerful than rate for my 3500 gallon pool, is this bad? I figure I want better circulation for less time.
5. Is it better to get a salt system combo or are seperate machines as acceptable? I already bought some chemicals so figure I'd switch to saltwater once I'm done with the previously purchased checmicals.

"Bang", welcome to TFP! :wave: Let's get your questions going shall we? I really don't think it will have a big impact on your system do go from 1.25 to 1.5 hoses/fittings. As for the 1.5 outlet at the pool, I'm not sure if you mean through the pool wall (suction or return jet) or something else? Either way, the size difference is minimal. The stronger pump should not be a big deal. Is it a 2-speed that you can flip to low? As for the salt, I know Intex has some SWG products that should match-up with your new Intex pump/filter if you chose to go salt.

But here's the thing too...... your pool is just above the 3K size we consider a "seasonal pool". Seasonal pools at 3k gallons are simply easier to manage with a few simple products, and if they get dirty or algae, it's almost easier to just jump and refill. So you may want to take a look at the link below before you invest much more in that pool to see which way you would prefer to go. Lastly, as for the glass media, I'd have to look or maybe someone else will reply. I have to say though, regular pool silica sand is generally the most common and reliable that we've seen here on the forum. But it's certainly your option. Let us know if you have nay other questions.

I have an intex sand filter with pump and swg combo. This will be the 3rd year I've used it. I've only used sand in my filter and it has worked great. I have no idea about glass media.

I doubt the hose size makes a difference. I did end up cutting my 1.25 return out of my pool to a bigger 1.5 size. The pump I ordered separate from my pool had 1.5 connections, and instead of using the adapters I just cut the pool. If you decide to go that route, there are youtube videos that show how to cut it.

Your pump will be fine. Mine was more powerful than I needed for my pool the last 2 years, and it worked great.

Reactions: Texas Splash
But here's the thing too...... your pool is just above the 3K size we consider a "seasonal pool". Seasonal pools at 3k gallons are simply easier to manage with a few simple products, and if they get dirty or algae, it's almost easier to just jump and refill. So you may want to take a look at the link below before you invest much more in that pool to see which way you would prefer to go. Lastly, as for the glass media, I'd have to look or maybe someone else will reply. I have to say though, regular pool silica sand is generally the most common and reliable that we've seen here on the forum. But it's certainly your option. Let us know if you have nay other questions.
Thanks..that is good to know! Yes, we have a small backyard and the pool was so my kids could continue with swim practice as they are competitive swimmers and all the pools have shut down.

I did end up cutting my 1.25 return out of my pool to a bigger 1.5 size. The pump I ordered separate from my pool had 1.5 connections, and instead of using the adapters I just cut the pool. If you decide to go that route, there are youtube videos that show how to cut it.

Your pump will be fine. Mine was more powerful than I needed for my pool the last 2 years, and it worked great.

Was there a reason you ended up cutting the 1.25 return and enlarging to 1.5? (Yes, this is exactly what my bumbling brain was trying in a pathetic manner to convey - thank you)

Was there a reason you ended up cutting the 1.25 return and enlarging to 1.5? (Yes, this is exactly what my bumbling brain was trying in a pathetic manner to convey - thank you)

At the time, I thought if the pump had 1.5 connections and hoses coming off it, then I needed to continue that through the pool or it could damage the pump. I've learned that this isn't true though bc lots of people use the adapters and they work just fine. That being said, I'm putting up a new intex this summer (got a 15 foot at the end of last season for $74) and I'll be cutting the return again. The reason this time is because I already have the bigger eyeball return and the hoses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.