Lynnlaake

Aug 22, 2021
Johnson City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
After completely draining and a complete scrub down, last weekend, we refilled. The levels were:
FC 10
CC 1
PH 8.2
TA 300
CH 350
CYA 0

Our yard is covered in pecan trees. We have had cover on during night to keep the black seeds out from the pool. Last night, we vacuumed, brushed, bypass to waste then backwash and rinsed filter. Clear water-added a tablet in skimmer. Forgot to cover and went to bed.
This morning, we wake to a dark green colored pool covered in these black seeds that have exploded. I'm devastated.
Levels right now:
FC 0
CC 0
PH 8.7
TA 360
CH 375
CYA 0

We vacuumed & brushed. Bypass to waste again then backwashed, rinse. Have gotten almost all of the black seeds out.

Should SLAM be done with 0 CYA and 0 FC? I think I need to lower PH before the SLAM, correct?

What are everyone's recommendations before I touch anything?
I have liquid chlorine or shock I can add, but don't know which is best. Also, was preparing for 1 last swim then closing it up for winter. Thank you.

Bummer.

You should lower the pH before starting the SLAM process. You should use liquid chlorine. Tablets and powdered shock (trichlor or cal hypo) are more short term use.

Add enough CYA to bring it up to 30ppm, check the pH again and add muriatic acid to slowly bring the pH down to 7.6 and check it again 30 minutes later to see how close to ~7.6 you got. Once you get to 7.6, then drop it down to 7.2 and start the SLAM.

With CC of 1.0 and losing 10ppm of FC overnight is a prime reason to start SLAM ASAP. How sure of those numbers are you?

First of all, never put tablets in the skimmer. The acid in tablets will damage your equipment. If you must use tablets put them in a floater in your pool.

Follow the SLAM Process step by step with no shortcuts.

Add 30 ppm of stabilizer using the sock method.

Lower your pH to 7.2-7.4.

Then raise your FC to 12 ppm.

Your pool went green because you had 0 CYA and the sun consumed your FC in less than a day. FC without CYA does not last in the Texas sun.

Reactions: Bperry and Donldson
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.