About to start opening pool. Advice would be well received.

Don’t worry about the TA at this stage. You’ll want to retest the pH just before your start the SLAM and bring it down to 7.2. However while your waiting on the LC just keep checking your pH and bring it down if it goes over 7.8.

Liquid chlorine delivery still not arrived so we been fighting a losing battle with the algae :( Latest readings

FC = 2.5
CC = 0.5
Ph = 7.6
TA = 160 ppm
CYA = 50 ppm

I added some CYA to get it up to 20 but unfortunately it's gone over (not sure how that happened)
I added muriatic acid to bring the Ph down as it had gone way over 8.
The SWG been running on boost (8x) whilst we been waiting for lc to come. Still the FC low. And we been constantly backwashing and skimming all the algae off the surface with tights.
Help!!!!

I haven't measured my CH since a week ago, when it was showing as 190.
I was originally told to aim for a CYA of 30 for the SLAM, but have somehow managed to get to 50, which means I need more bleach I guess. Hopefully it's going to arrive tomorrow.

Latest results:
FC - 1.5
CC - 1.0
TA - 175
pH - 7.6-7.8

I know I now need to bring the TA or pH level down before I SLAM - how long should I wait to test the water after I have added Muriatic Acid? I think I have seen somewhere here that it is only around 30 mins.

I just want to get on top of this horrible algae bah ha ha haaaah :(

Ok can you easily get 73% cal hypo in your area?

If your ch is 160 I'm guessing your fill water ch is around 160 do that gives us around 10 lbs of cal hypo room. (Trying to limit to 300 ch)

This is sort of a advanced move but if your up to it I would do it in your shoes.

Every 16 oz of 73% cal hypo adds 19 fc and 14 ch for 4500 gallon pool. You can start your slam and mantain with cal hypo but once the ten pounds is up you can use any more till next year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At last we received our chlorine/bleach! Thank you to everyone for their advice so far.

Night before last we added muriatic acid to lower our ph which was sitting at over 8.
The ph fell to 7 when I measured it yesterday morning.
I measured my CYA - it appears to have gone up and looks to be around 60 now (before I had measured 50). I have to say I found it difficult to measure yesterday for some reason and had to do it several times.

Based on TFP table we should slam to 24 if our CYA is 60

I added bleach at midday yesterday to raise FC levels to 24

4.30pm yesterday
FC - 24
CC - 1

9pm yesterday
FC - 20
CC - 1.5
Added more bleach to take back up to 24

This morning at 8am - it's rainy and cloudy
FC - 26
CC - 1

I'm going to keep testing every hour or so, and will brush again, and vac although when I vacuumed it yesterday it pulled a little algae from the bottom but not an awful lot (I think we need a more powerful pump).

We are going away this evening for the weekend - can anyone advise best thing to do to help us keep on top of this whilst we are away - back on Sunday evening. Typical! If the bleach had arrived when it was supposed to, we would have been on top of it for now and could have maintained with our SWG but hey ho!

Any other advice you can give me so that we can stay on top of this whilst we are away, and any other observations you make on our readings so far?

Thanks in advance

How does the water look? From those test results it looks like you are almost done with a SLAM. If you are going away for the weekend I would turn on the SWCG.

It's cloudy :( I keep brushing, which makes it more cloudy, but it's not green anymore so definitely getting there. I only added bleach yesterday though, although prior to that I was running the SWG full time on boost until our liquid chlorine arrived, which was yesterday.

1pm test results today are

FC - 22
CC - 0.5 (not sure why this has gone down from this morning!)

So I will add some more bleach to raise up to 24 again, and brush and vacuum, and take another reading at 5pm before we leave.

Any thoughts on what I should do to keep on top of this whilst I am away?

Thanks!

So we are back!

I tested water today and FC was down to 18 and CC was finally 0.5 after all this time - I'm figuring that's not too bad considering we have been away, so I added chlorine to take back up to 24, and am going to test again and add some more bleach, and then test again when the sun goes down. I brushed it again, but could still see blurry bits which I assume is algae still lurking about :(

The backwash water was much cleaner than when we have done it before. The water in the pool is much clearer, even after brushing, but it's not sparkly yet :( It's still a bit cloudy looking although you can see the bottom clearly enough.

Am I being over optimistic in thinking I could try and do the OLT test, or do you think I still have a way to go?

Thanks

Well if you are still (or back to) SLAMming you should be measuring and dosing just before bed and first thing in the morning anyway, so you kind of would be doing one by default :)

Yes, I guess you are right there!
Latest readings:

9pm last night:
FC - 22
CC - 1

7am this morning:
FC - 18.5
CC - 0.5
Added bleach to make up to 24

3.30pm
FC - 23
CC - 0.5
CYA - 60
TA - 175

The water is definitely sparkling more now. It's just begun to rain again, rubbish weather but looking good for our long weekend. Hoping my little one can finally get in at some point this weekend.

Once I pass the overnight test, how do you go about getting the FC levels back to what they should be - do you just leave the water and test regularly, then switch on the SWG once reached the required level?

Thanks

:) thank you!

Latest reading - 8pm

FC - 22
CC - 0.5

I have added 250ml more bleach, and will take reading at 10pm before I go to bed

I think we are almost there (I hope!) - water looking much much better - I can see the bottom which needs vacuuming. Just need to sort out the vacuum, as it doesn't appear to be particularly powerful, but perhaps that is because we don't have a proper connection to the water outlet, because it's not an intex vacuum...

Thanks everyone for helping and providing advice so far - don't know what I would do without you guys. I have the confidence that even if we have a green swamp, which would have once got me so stressed, it can always be sorted! Amazing!

:kim:

Last edited:
Thanks to all the advice given, we have been able to enjoy our pool in the lovely weather we have been having here in the UK! Our daughter and her friends have had a great time, and so have we! Once again, t hanks to this forum for making this possible for us!
Connie.jpgmy lovely parents enjoying time by the pool.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.