About to buy a pool.

Human

Silver Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Oklahoma City, OK
Well I'm glad to be making my first post. It looks we are going to be getting a pool soon, after getting a few quotes for a in ground pool of 30k-40k, we put it on hold till last week when I found out some above ground pools can have a deep end, It kinda blew my mind lol. So after shopping around, we found a few DoughBoy pools that will fit the bill, the only thing we are giving up is a salt water system, so we can keep the warranty.

We are still trying to figure out if we are going to go oval or round maybe you guys can help with that? We can fit a 28ft round pool in our yard, but we will be out of room and only will be able to build a small deck around it, just about every place we go to has a 26-28ft round on display and boy do they look huge. We have yet to find a big oval pool on display so we can see/compaire the size for ourselves.

As of now if we don't change our mind, we are looking at a Doughboy oval Desert Spring pool.

18x38, with a deep end and buried 2' in the ground.
Pool would be $8,500
Install would be $3,750, this is if the ground is within 6" of level, but does not include dirt haul off.
So total would be around 12,250 + dirt hall off.

How does that price sound? anything I need to look out for, or ask to upgrade, before we pull the plug?

Thanks for the help

We have a 28 ft doughboy with a deep end. Definitely love the deep end. I like the look of the ovals, but the spot we had in our yard worked better with a round. The deck is important! That really makes our pool for us. I think that price sounds pretty reasonable (especially with the desert spring) We upgraded our pump from the original to a 2 speed (we've been happy with it). If I had to go back an do it again, I would maybe upgrade the liner to the thickest one, and a darker blue. We picked the lighter of the 2 blue ones that look like water (blue bayou) and it's faded. It still looks good, but the medium blue colors tend to fade fast I think. I would also consider a robot vacuum. The hose ones are a pain to deal with.

Good luck, you will love the pool!

Welcome to TFP...

Congrats on your decision to get a pool. I have an IG pool so can’t advise on AG pool. Lots of folks have them and I would think a good well integrated deck would be important and look awesome! Once you decide be sure to let us know as there are some links to read and you will need a water test kit (not the one that may come with pool).

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP...

Congrats on your decision to get a pool. I have an IG pool so can’t advise on AG pool. Lots of folks have them and I would think a good well integrated deck would be important and look awesome! Once you decide be sure to let us know as there are some links to read and you will need a water test kit (not the one that may come with pool).

Hi, welcome to TFP! I understand wanting to keep the warranty, but I would ask a few in depth questions before you decide whether preserving the warranty is worth more than the convenience of an SWG. Ask if the warranty is pro-rated and at what rate, where replacement parts come from, who pays for shipping on warranty parts, and how much does shipping generally cost.

As far as sizing the pool, get a bag of flour or a couple of water hoses and layout the outline of the pool in the size you want to get a feel for how much yard it will take up and if it feels big enough for you. include an extra foot all the way around so you can be sure you have enough space to access all sides of the pool for maintenance. Also keep in mind any easements you may have along property lines and where any utilities are located both underground and above ground. Do you have overhead power lines that need a certain amount of clearance? Do you have trees that need to be removed?

These questions will help determine how much pool will fit in your yard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.