About to begin new install, H-Depot plumber threw me a curveball...HELP!

Aug 6, 2022
Arizona
I went to get the 2" pipe to begin rebuilding my pad plumbing ahead of a new pump install (various leaks at the pad plumbing).

Currently, I have 2 1.5" pipes (skimmer and vacuum) leading into a Jandy that feeds the 1HP pump, a mix of 1.5" and 2" pipe/elbows/reducers into a 2" multiport, a return that feeds another Jandy, which feeds 2 1.5" returns (water feature and return jets).

My new 2HP works with both 1.5" and 2" pipe but the HD employee (who is also a 40-year plumber by trade) said you cannot bring 1.5" into a 2" without creating air or cavitation. He said I need to stick with 1.5" pipe to match the suction and pressure lines otherwise I'm only pulling 1.5" of water into a 2" pipe and it won't pressurize properly.

He correctly indicated that going 2" to 1.5" at the pressure side will just create more pressure to the returns and wouldn't be a problem, but still advised to stick with 1.5" all around.

(A) Can I do this without worry?

(B) Is 2" better for a 2hp pump, even with 1.5" suction and pressure lines?

(C) Would it be best to convert 1.5" to 2" once the water exits the Jandy on the way to the pump or at the vaccuum lines before the Jandy?

(D) Will the increased HP or pipe size allow me to utilize both skimmer and vaccuum via Jandy control?

My current setup will not allow me to have partial vaccuum and partial skim at the same time. Not sure why but I can Jandy to just one or the other. Also, the filter is DE capable of 72GPM.

Thanks, theres nothing worse than having a plan to execute tomorrow morning and an "expert" making me 2nd guess :(

*pic below
20220804_111603.jpg

Now you know why that plumber is working in HD. He does not understand how pool plumbing works. Mixing 1 1/2" and 2" works fine. All he said is nonsense.

You are stuck with 1.5" in the ground. Change to 2" as soon as you can coming out of the ground. Keep it 2" through the equipment if you can. Going back to 1.5" for the return will work fine.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Now you know why that plumber is working in HD. He does not understand how pool plumbing works. Mixing 1 1/2" and 2" works fine. All he said is nonsense.

You are stuck with 1.5" in the ground. Change to 2" as soon as you can coming out of the ground. Keep it 2" through the equipment if you can. Going back to 1.5" for the return will work fine.

Glad I'm not crazy...all I could do is scratch my head.

Based on my suction picture below, can you recommend a way to go from 1.5" to 2"?

20220804_111548.jpg

As you can see, once I couple 1.5" to 2", I won't have much room left before the 2" elbow to Jandy. Would it still be best to being 2" pipes into the Jandy or keep the 1.5" flow until exiting the Jandy, then 2" into to the pump?

Thanks for the help!

Change to 2" coming out of the diverter valve.

I think your suction diverter valve is 1.5" inside and 2" outside. Right now you have a coupler slid on the outside.

The Wiki explains how to use a heat gun to remove a coupler - PVC Repair - Further Reading

So a 2" pipe should slide onto the outside of the valve and then into the pump.

Change to 2" coming out of the diverter valve.

I think your suction diverter valve is 1.5" inside and 2" outside. Right now you have a coupler slid on the outside.

The Wiki explains how to use a heat gun to remove a coupler - PVC Repair - Further Reading

So a 2" pipe should slide onto the outside of the valve and then into the pump.
Okay I appreciate that. Luckily, I'm also replacing the Jandys, and yes, they are 1.5" & 2" compatible valves.

Last question (sorry) but at the return Jandy, do I want 2" out of the Jandy then couple to the 1.5" in-ground returns or send everything after the diverter back at 1.5" (basically rhe exact same at the suction side)?

Thanks so much!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.