Abalone bag size question

May 14, 2012
Our PB just dropped off the bags of interior along with the bags of abalone. I was shocked to see it was only 5lb bags of abalone, seems so little for what we paid for ($125 per bag). Anyone else have the same or different experience with the abalone?

I’m curious, any chance you can snap a picture of the front and back of the bag and upload it...

As with almost all “pool” products, mark up is outrageous...

I’m curious, any chance you can snap a picture of the front and back of the bag and upload it...

As with almost all “pool” products, mark up is outrageous...

9852c088ecfb11c2e68827badd9352bc.jpg

Thanks. Looks like that abalone comes from CLI (Colored Aggregate Systems appears to be a subsidiary). Is CLI the plaster manufacturer you are using?

I was going to mention this simply as a warning - abalone shells have, in the past, caused problems with plaster discoloration, specifically brown rings forming around the shell chips. The culprit seems to be non-pool grade shells being used that were not properly processed to remove all of the organics in them. These organics then slowly leach out into the plaster, react with chlorine in the pool water and form a brown ring. Nothing can remove the stain and the fix is often to simply chip-out and redo the plaster. I feel better knowing that this product appears to come from CL Industries so I am hopeful that they have good quality control procedures in place. I believe in all the cases where brown mottling occurred, the abalone shell came from an unspecified source.

I'm mentioning this only as a warning and something to keep an eye on. You might even discuss it with your PB (hopefully "on the record" so you have a paper trail). That way, no one can say this is your fault. If you look up "abalone" and "brown stains" on this forum, you'll find several posts about it. I think there were also articles written in the usual pool trade magazines about it as well, so it's not like it's an unknown problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.