Aack.. dropped rock in skimmer

Mind reader!! My husband ordered the nozzle yesterday... He already has the super long hose. Fingers crossed!
I promise I'll post the outcome of this adventure. There are lots of similar threads that just end with lots of suggestions and no outcome reported.
Camera won't go past first bend, and all the tight 90 degree bends make me doubtful that we can get anything around all the bends.
New "plan"(ish) ... Route pump flow back into skimmer pipe. We'd turn the pool to spa mode, so that the pump gets water from the spa, and nothing is being pulled from the pool side. We'd unhook the swg, and route all the water from the pump into the skimmer pipe. We'll watch the water pressure carefully.
The thought is that less than full pump suction (the main drain was also open at the time) got the rock into the pipe, so maybe full pump pressure will push it back out again.
Thoughts?

Reactions: SoDel
Camera won't go past first bend, and all the tight 90 degree bends make me doubtful that we can get anything around all the bends.
New "plan"(ish) ... Route pump flow back into skimmer pipe. We'd turn the pool to spa mode, so that the pump gets water from the spa, and nothing is being pulled from the pool side. We'd unhook the swg, and route all the water from the pump into the skimmer pipe. We'll watch the water pressure carefully.
The thought is that less than full pump suction (the main drain was also open at the time) got the rock into the pipe, so maybe full pump pressure will push it back out again.
Thoughts?
It is worth a try.

Another idea I’ve seen someone do was use a nitrogen tank to blow a high volume of gas through the pipe and geyser out the skimmer. It looked extremely dangerous to me but it did work. Your own risk, don’t actually try that, etc.

One stupid question: are you positive the rock actually went in?

It is worth a try.

Another idea I’ve seen someone do was use a nitrogen tank to blow a high volume of gas through the pipe and geyser out the skimmer. It looked extremely dangerous to me but it did work. Your own risk, don’t actually try that, etc.

One stupid question: are you positive the rock actually went in?
Oh, yes. I dropped it in and it disappeared. Sigh.
Another thought is an "ice pig".. put in an ice slurry to increase pressure against the rock. If it doesn't work, the ice will melt.

Have you tried a shop vac in blower mode with the hose shoved into the pump inlet? May be safer than reversing the flow out of the pump.

Not yet, but that would be pretty easy to try. Will definitely give that a shot before the pump option.
May need a couple wraps of your favorite duct or electrical tape around the hose end to get a good seal at the inlet. Just don't go to crazy and put so much on that is cracks the pump housing when you shove the hose in.

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma
Hubby saw this thread on winterizing (which we never do)
and wondered if we could hook up the compressor to the pump basket as shown and blow air through the pipe.
It would also blow air through the pump, right? Is that a problem?

I don't think the physics supports using an air compressor. What will move the rock best is a flow of water. A compressor will force out what's in the pipe (just like the video), then only air will be flowing by the rock. A huge volume of air will be needed to move it. Think how much force a 10mph wind exerts vs. a 10mph flow of water. Big difference.

I'm pretty sure the bladder suggestion for pushing water backward from the pump has the best chance of success. The problem is the rock's size. It's a tight squeeze for any 90 deg elbow, even for 45. You'll increase chances of success by pulsing the hose pressure on and off while praying the rock joggles itself into the correct orientation to make the turn (and hopping on your left foot while patting your tummy :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a void as per the picture. I'd use a wire hanger like the ones from the dry cleaner, make it nice and straight and at the end make a sharp 90° bend only long enough to pass the rock. Then you'd spin the wire 90° to get it under the rock and maneuver it up. The fact it's a good size is beneficial so it can't flip away if your careful.

Or if that does not work, maybe hot glue or 5 minute epoxy a thin stick (bamboo skewer might be ideal) to the rock in such a way that you can use it to turn and maneuver the rock out.

So, in our first attempt we pushed it back into the pipe a little. So we blew it out again, and I had the bright idea to put my hand in to try and grab it in case it was pushed out of the pipe altogether.
Voilà!
Thanks for all the ideas and support!

Attachments

• PXL_20220705_164857512.jpg
    PXL_20220705_164857512.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 62
Would you mind summarizing what you did that was successful? I'm having a hard time tracking the various posts - sorry I'm slow. Great info here, thank you.

Would you mind summarizing what you did that was successful? I'm having a hard time tracking the various posts - sorry I'm slow. Great info here, thank you.
1) dropped rock in skimmer
2) turned off pump
3) tried wet vac in skimmer. No success
4) tried drain king in pump basket pipe. No success
5) tried to find rock with endoscopic camera. Made it to first turn, couldn't get it further
6) considered reversing pump flow to push water through at full pressure.
7) considered exhaust from wet vac, decided air compressor would be better.
8) drilled holes in tennis ball to create a seal, pushed air into skimmer line (again via pipe in pump basket) tried 50 psi, then 100 psi.
9) rock now visible!!
10) tried grab with duct tape on stick, pushed back into pipe 😭
11) pushed out with compressor again, this time with hand in skimmer, caught the rock once it was pushed up by air/water.

This was a two person effort. Hubby at the pump basket end with compressor hose/tennis ball, me connecting the hose (our on/off mechanism), watching the skimmer and catching the rock.
See previous posts for pictures.

Last edited:
Is it recommended practice to shut the pump off when cleaning the skimmer,
Of course! You don't want the pump accidentally sucking in something that the basket would catch.

If you remove the skimmer basket, the pump should be "off"
Never really thought about this until Dave mentioned it in a recent thread. Good lesson for all of us.

Good job @poolnoobgrandma!

Reactions: poolnoobgrandma
Never really thought about this until Dave mentioned it in a recent thread. Good lesson for all of us.

Good job @poolnoobgrandma!
I think I'll get a bigger rock AND change the hairnet in the evening after the pump has turned off for the day. OR turn off the pump. Great advice.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.