Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I'm reading through the AA threads and just noticed that bypassing the heater is now considered a thing. For me to do this, I think I would have to build a fixture. Should I also remove my SWG, since there is metal in there as well?

I was literally considering this to be the week to do the AA treatment. I have the AA, Polyquat 60 and the Jack's Purple is on the way. I plan to try a "CuLator" for removing the sequestered metals. Water is down to 53-55F (my SWG works to 50F).

Finally, is there a link to the best procedure?

TIA!

I'm reading through the AA threads and just noticed that bypassing the heater is now considered a thing. For me to do this, I think I would have to build a fixture. Should I also remove my SWG, since there is metal in there as well?

No, gas heater heat exchangers are usually copper which low pH easily attacks. SWG plates are titanium and much more durable.

Well, if you have a way of mixing the water without using the pool pump then you could probably do the process. Once the pH is restored and all of the ascorbic acid is neutralized by the chlorine, it would be safe to turn the pool pump back on.

I would not do an AA treatment with my SWG in place as I have the “winterizing tube” for it. But, like you, l don’t have a by-pass for my heater so it would require plumbing rework no matter what.

Ok +1 hour.

90% of the stains have lifted.
Ph is down to 7.0
TA dropped from 80 to 70.

Filter is still out.

Will add chlorine starting tomorrow morning and put the filter in.
Will add Polyfill to the skimmers.
Thinking about putting Polyfill in the robot cartridges and running the robot as well. Any thoughts on this?

Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread.

Attachments

• 2A4E6E11-8F20-4FC1-AADB-526389594C9B.jpeg
    2A4E6E11-8F20-4FC1-AADB-526389594C9B.jpeg
    772.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have 2 submersible pumps. One I built an adapter for the standard vacuum hose, the other connects to a regular 3/4 inch hose. I could put those in the pool to circulate with the pumps turned off and the filter and pump pots drained.

If I start at 7.2 and then add 1 pound of ascorbic acid per 10,000 gallons, how low will the pH be?

You’re pH could drop as low as 6.8 but it will come up quickly if the TA is at a reasonable level. The submersible pumps should work fine for mixing. You don’t need more than 24 hours with the AA then you can start to chlorinate again. Use liquid chlorine to bring the FC back up, the SWG will be useless until all the AA is neutralized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.