AA and raising PH/Chlorine

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All,

Is it safe to assume that after AA treatment for iron, as long as one SLOWLY raises PH and chlorine, the iron will remain sequestered? Slowness is key? I hope this is correct. If not, whenever you get PH and chlorine back to normal, iron staining will return.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Jeff

Ascorbic acid only reduces iron to a form that can dissolve into water, it does not sequester the iron. As soon as the ascorbic acid is neutralized by raising the FC, the iron will convert back to an insoluble form and precipitate out. This is why you absolutely need a sequestering agent and you must maintain the sequestering agent throughout the pool season.

Reactions: Neworldjef
Ascorbic acid only reduces iron to a form that can dissolve into water, it does not sequester the iron. As soon as the ascorbic acid is neutralized by raising the FC, the iron will convert back to an insoluble form and precipitate out. This is why you absolutely need a sequestering agent and you must maintain the sequestering agent throughout the pool season.
Matt - understood! My post was not clear - when I wrote "sequestered" I was going on the assumption of having add a sequestration agent after AA. I was not clear and thanks for your reply.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Matt - understood! My post was not clear - when I wrote "sequestered" I was going on the assumption of having add a sequestration agent after AA. I was not clear and thanks for your reply.

Understood. With a sequestering agent you do need to keep the pH under tight control and raise the FC slowly. There are some situations where the iron concentration is just too high and even with sequestrant the stains return. Hopefully that doesn’t happen in your case.

I’ve had trouble in the past with manganese precipitates causing the pool to look filthy. I got a special filter called a slime bag that I attached to the water return (for my setup it was easiest to attach it to our Polaris pressure-side cleaner’s return hose). It cleared the pool right away!
The company that makes this filter I noticed is online at www.slimebag.com. Best wishes on this!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.