A simple way to automate a Hayward Heater !

Les57

Mar 13, 2023
LBI, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hi All,

I have been scratching my head about a simple mod for my Hayward heater to allow me to remotely turn it on/off. I think I found the solution, and its so simple, but want feedback. I am proficient in using using Aurduinos, ESP32, node Red, etc. and have done a lot of automation but as I dug into the operation of everything and started piecing everything together I realized there was an easier way. The Pool is located at a 2nd home and I am only using the pool on weekends

So first of all, I learned that the newer Haywards H- Series, do not need a Fireman's switch to shut off the heater 20 minutes before the pump , it does provide terminals to be used with its $$$ automation system, which you can also control with dry contacts. To use them you need to put the unit in bypass mode and let the automation system do the rest, which means you need to add your own logic to monitor and control temp, run wires and tap into the water for measurements, etc.

In my brand new system, the heater is tied together with the SWG and Pump to a simple Intermatic T104R ( will be replaced at another time). So that means the power to the Heater is shut on/off whenever the the Pump is On/Off. So if the pump is say running for 8 hours and the Temp is set to 85 degrees, it will work for the 8 hours, then shut down with the pump until the next day, when it get powered again from the Timer. So it gets completely shut off when the T104R kills its power. Seems like the new Hayward's have no issue working that way.

So my thought is rather then dealing with the closed contact control , putting the Heater in Automation mode and having to monitor Temp. I simply use a Sonoff or Shelly , to act as a switch added between the Haywards 240V connection to the Intermatic timer. Requires very little wiring, can use the same power running the Intermatic and can sit in the same box. And now Temp is still set monitored and controlled from the front panel of the Hayward.

The disadvantage is I cant remotely adjust temp but thats not important to me.

Am I missing something?

Looking for any and all comments..... just seems too simple.

Thanks
Les

I guess the biggest question is whether the unit will automatically restart and remember it's setting after it completely loses power.
Yes, it does. As In its current unmodified setup it is tied to the Mechanical timer and shuts off an back on in conjunction with the pump.

Working with the Shelly 1 device for about 2 weeks now. I set the pools hayward heater to the desired temp and wired the shelly between the instematic time and heater. When the timer turns on the pump, it sends power to the shelly and depending upon if the shelly App has the heater on or off, it will trigger with the timer with the Hayward maintaining its set temp. Now my heater is automated for $25!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.